Reporting to the Operations Leader, the Nights Production Manager will be responsible for all four departments on the night shift. As a site with over 1800 employees there are 900 employees working on our various evening and night shifts that support our four unique operations. This role we be responsible for supporting and directing the teams in all four areas, helping with critical decision making, and playing a key role in the growth and talent development of our Supervisory team.
The operating site on Lagimodiere Boulevard is home to 2000 team members who support the work in four unique operations. We are the bacon center of excellence for Maple Leaf producing over 30 Million Kilograms of retail bacon annually. We operate a Ham Boning operation with 400 Skilled butchers who debone and trim raw ham for supply to numerous other Maple Leaf Facilities. We operate a processed ham operation that produces a variety of fully cooked retail products including deli hams, deli poultry roasts, sliced ham, and smoked sausages. Our fourth operation is a brand-new expansion commissioned in 2021 to produced fully cooked bacon for the retail and food service markets. Given the scale and variety of our operation we are a site that provides our team members the opportunity to grow and develop a meaningful career that is full of challenge and opportunity.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by November 28. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Develop and drive a strong safety culture (Health and Safety and Food Safety and Quality Assurance).
- Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operations and cost improvements in the department.
- Develop employees through certification training and coaching, providing clear roles and consistent support and feedback for all employees.
- Foster and maintain positive union and employee relations environment by treating all employees with respect, providing timely feedback and grievance resolution.
- Hold employees accountable and drive performance through key metrics that are tied back to the vision.
- Continuously seek ways to improve manufacturing operational results and efficiencies while meeting customer expectations and minimizing waste.
- Develop a cohesive, competent Supervisory group and plan for development and succession planning.
- Support Marketing/Sales with respect to new and existing product development initiatives and customer inquiries.
- Optimize and ensure execution of weekly and monthly production schedules.
- Ensure compliance with the CFIA, Workplace Health and Safety and other legislative bodies that impact plant performance.
- Demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
- Conduct team meetings to review KPIs, FSQA, People, Reliability and CI.
- Work with the Six Sigma team on process improvement projects
What You’ll Bring:
- Post-secondary education.
- Multiple years of management experience in a unionized, manufacturing environment.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Ability to work as a team with all functional areas to support a common goal.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.