The Director Finance, Meat Protein Supply Chain is responsible for the financial stewardship of Purchasing, Freight & Storage, Utilities and Service Penalty for Meat Protein in addition to Production Volumes, Inventory Reporting and Distressed Volume for Prepared Meats. Working directly with SVP Prepared Meats Operations and Supply Chain, this role is accountable for Budgeting, Forecasting and Reporting on the Financial Performance for all aspects of Supply Chain. The role is also the Finance Lead for Sustainability Projects in Meat Protein
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by November 22. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
Operations Business Partner
- Actively engage in project work and serve as an integral member of the Finance Supply Chain Leadership Team.
- Provide timely insights on Supply Chain financial performance to leaders, and ad hoc support for decision making
- Participate in Supplier Advantage and Sustainability Councils, providing financial guidance and support
- Supply Chain financial performance reporting, forecasting and analysis
- freight & storage volumes variances
- freight & storage spending variances
- packaging & ingredients purchase price variances
- distressed sales volume and GP
- service penalties
- supplier advantage/purchasing savings
- Capex review for sustainability projects
- Weekly vitals for SLT, and monthly E Meeting reports
- Monthly vitals and full year forecast, monthly actuals reporting
- Internal Audits for Meat Protein Distribution, application of standard costing for distribution costs
MLF Meat Protein Supply Chain
Lead the annual budget process for all aspects of Meat Protein Supply Chain, driving consistency across the network and between the 3 Meat Operating Units, identifying risks and opportunities and ensuring commitments are well communicated and documented.
- distribution budgets for all meat protein
- standard costs updates
- inventory reporting and production volumes for Prepared Meats plants
- Utility costs and usage for all meat protein
Lead the 5 year financial plan for all aspects of Supply Chain, ensuring long range planning assumptions for offsetting inflation with cost savings and are properly reflected in the strategic plan. Lead the addition of sustainability targets and capital in strategic plans.
- ZBB reviews for all cost centers in distribution
- allocations to OU’s
- Manage the productivity of a team of 5 people with 2 direct reports PAD process
- annual merit increases
- people survey action plans
- personal and professional development
- succession planning
- Achieve annual budgets for Purchasing and Distribution Spend, Supplier Advantage Targets, Utilities Spend
- Assist the plant finance and operations team with utility usage, savings and spend targets
- Lead C3 financial control activities for Meat Protein distribution centres and MLF Internal Audit recommendations
- Lead month, quarter end and year end accountabilities for Supply Chain accounts and cost centres
- Ensure MLF policies and controls applied throughout areas of responsibility, and suggest improvements where appropriate
- Application of SAP functionalities to drive efficiencies
- Timely analysis of risks and opportunities
- Development of a stronger, leaner finance team
What You’ll Bring:
- Demonstrated personal leadership skills
- Influencing others regardless of their level in the organization
- Work seamlessly across functions
- Acts on convictions, not afraid to take risks, insists on being heard
- Demonstrated knowledge of all F & A core competencies with emphasis on costing, reporting (accounting policies, MCR, annual planning process), controls (C3, segregation of duties) and financial analysis models (e.g. NPV, RONA)
- Strong business acumen and critical thinking skills
- Proven evaluator and developer of talent
- Ability to communicate concisely and precisely both verbally and in written form
- Exceptional organization leadership, ability to manage time, set priorities and work efficiently under pressure
- High intellect, can adjust quickly to circumstances without losing sight of own responsibilities and organizational goals
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.