The incumbent is responsible for supporting the delivery of our people strategy within the Hanover facility and Farms, and acts as an employee champion and change agent. This role assesses and anticipates our people needs and fully integrates themselves into the plant environment by communicating needs proactively with their cross functional teams. As a true business partner, the incumbent will be responsible for all plant specific HR requirements in a fast-paced hatchery and farms, supporting hourly team members.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Provide direction and support to hourly employees in respect to workplace policies, payroll, benefits, recruitment, employee legislation, staffing, and current and new systems.
- Assist and coach supervisors in determining appropriate corrective actions, conflict resolution, and performance management techniques for their employees.
- Advise leaders on respond matters pertaining to employee relations.
- Actively engage leaders in daily issues and problem resolution in support of business needs.
- Support the performance development programs and processes. Contribute to the continuous improvement of all HR processes and ensure consistent application.
- Monitor and communicate with departments to understand labour requirements.
- Report on key metrics, identify trends and propose proactive actions which will support in the achievement of plant targets.
- First point in contact to investigate and respond to all employee concerns and take steps to resolve issues.
- Work with leaders to identify recruitment needs and play an active role in the selection process.
- Responsible for leading hourly hiring activities
- Coordination and administration of leaves, layoffs and terminations
- Manage hourly attendance program
- Ensure all hourly MSS transactions are accurate and completed
- Assist team members with benefit and pension forms as well as answering inquiries and resolving any issues or concerns
- Work with various corporate departments including payroll, compensation and benefits, and HR services team to ensure needs of our team members are met
- Payroll completion activities and inquiries
What You’ll Bring:
- Post-secondary education with a focus in Human Resources
- Related experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Proven ability to coach, teach, lead others
- Demonstrated experience in performance and development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; able to develop positive working relationships with all employees
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Results driven with the ability to take initiative, analyze and problem solve
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.