The successful candidate will be responsible to ensure that all Food Safety, GMP, HACCP and other Quality Assurance Program requirements are consistently achieved with a sense of urgency at the facility. In addition, the candidate is responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing Values-Based Leadership at the facility. This position will be involved in Pre-op Inspections therefore must be able to work overnight as well as on some weekends when required.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Nightly preoperational inspection of the raw and RTE production environment to verify and release the site for the next production day.
- Plan and complete TPC, ATP, and environmental swabbing to meet our sanitation effectiveness programs.
- Tracking and trending sanitation related data and presentation of findings to management, regulatory, and auditors.
- Support the Sanitation Team with investigations and continuous improvement of our sanitation related SOPs.
- Provide support and guidance to Sanitation manager and contract sanitation crew applicable to food safety related items.
- Review and approve packaging label updates in preparation for following day Operations.
- Collect samples and conduct raw material sensory assessment and communicate results to Operations.
- Provide leadership and direction to Operators on the line with particular focus on blending, formulation, CCPs, and documentation.
- Immediately address deviations to FSQA procedures by coaching and re-training.
- Conduct HACCP reassessment, monitoring, and verification to meet regulatory requirements including updates to forms, documents, and programs as required.
- As a member of the cross-functional team, investigate, document (In SAP Non-conformance system) and establish/implement appropriate corrective action to address deviations related to all programs with specific focus on foreign material and quality critical non-conformances.
- Support all aspects of audit preparation and execution including documentation, preparation, program review, on-site inspection, training and other duties as required.
- Provide support and direction to Production Supervisors with various startup activities.
- Perform other SAP functions as required such as hold/release program, inspection lot oversight, usage decisions, etc.
- Participate in management meetings, period review, Town hall meetings, other communication sessions, etc.
- Assist CFIA inspectors with tasks or other support as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor of Science or College Diploma in Food Safety/Science program or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years previous experience in a technical food manufacturing role is preferred.
- Strong understanding of Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMPs related to the food industry.
- Practical experience with sanitation process, inspection, and audit.
- Intermediate to exceptional MS Office skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to work with a variety of people and to be assertive as required.
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities.
- Willingness to learn and teach others, be self-directed and motivated.
- Work as part of a functional team and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Values.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.