The incumbent is responsible for supporting the delivery of our people strategy and acts as a team member champion and change agent at two facilities within our Specialty Meats business unit including team member relations, labour & staffing plans, recruitment of hourly and salaried team members, HR budgeting, team member communications, team member development, benefits administration, training and development, and providing coaching and support to the site leadership teams. This individual will be energetic, results driven and have a strong desire to deliver exceptional client focus partnerships. This role assesses and anticipates our people needs and fully integrates themselves into the plant environment by communicating needs proactively with their cross functional teams. As a true business partner, the incumbent will be responsible for all plant specific HR requirements to two fast paced, growth-oriented food manufacturing plants on a day, and afternoon shift schedule.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Establish and maintain credibility with all team members by addressing, following up and responding to questions, concerns, and problems quickly, professionally, and accurately.
- Responsible for leading and implementing the hiring activities for the hourly team members and assisting with the salaried hiring – including recruitment/interviewing/selection.
- Utilize human capital management systems (i.e., SAP, KRONOS) to maintain team member information as it relates to adding new hires, termination, job changes, and rate adjustments etc. for all hourly team members.
- The coordination of internal job postings, transfers, layoffs, recalls and related administration
- Facilitate the grievance meetings from step one through to step three and document all actions with coaching from the HR manager.
- Provide coaching and training to Supervisors and hourly team members on Human Resources processes and policies.
- Investigate reported team member incidents and assist in the delivery of any required disciplinary action and provide coaching and support to people leaders
- Review and updating of policies and procedures.
- Take a lead role in interpreting the collective agreement and administering changes from collective bargaining
- Participate in develop of training materials and new hire orientation.
- Support supervisors with facility & corporate training initiatives (SISTEM)
- Administer the pension and benefit plans including coordinating with the Corporate Pension and Benefits team on new enrollments, plan changes, plan terminations and team member specific issues.
- Provide support to ensure that payroll can be processed accurately and in a timely manner
- Assist in the organization of company social events.
- Prepare and present regular people reports and statistics for plant and corporate purposes.
- Other duties as required
What You’ll Bring:
- Previous experience in Human Resources and managing a client group or business area is required
- Previous experience in Labour Relations and working in a unionized manufacturing environment an asset.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Labour, or Industrial Relations
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication (oral, written, listening) skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, prioritization and organization skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks or projects.
- Interviewing and selection experience required.
- Knowledge of Employment Standards Act, Human Rights
- Ability to coach, train, and influence others.
- Ability to work independently as well
- Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions
- Knowledgeable in Health & Safety / Food Safety principles
- Ability to travel frequently between the two sites
- Proficient computer skills, especially with MS Outlook, Excel, Databases and Word.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.