Research new digital concepts and different applications of technologies to determine their suitability and support introduction through transition to mainstream operational support. Work in partnership with cross-functional team members to embrace digital transformation exploring new ways of working, running operations and engaging our consumers. Recent initiative topics have included: AR/VR, Chatbot, Path to Paperless and user experience assessments on custom apps.
The Manager, Digital Innovation role is a full-time position reporting to the Director, User Experience in Information Solutions (IS). Enjoy flexible hybrid working arrangements with regular weekly time in the office at the Meadowvale campus located in Mississauga, ON.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Mentoring the team of two direct reports and rotating co-op students
- Evolve the Digital Innovation program experience for co-op students guiding research assignments, communication plans, reverse mentorship and other activities
- Build recommendations for process design and Sprint 0 high level requirements by facilitating workshops to progress project execution up startups for strategic initiatives like Path to Paperless, transforming paper-based manufacturing plant floor activities into proficient digital processes
- Work in partnership with functional teams to run assessments which identify and prioritize a backlog of business opportunities best suited for digital innovation projects
- Conduct user-centered research (interviews, observations, surveys, etc.) and produce supporting documentation such as user stories, process/journey maps, mockups or wireframes to convey business requirements and functionality to stakeholders and development team
- Co-ordinate proof of concepts (POC) to evaluate the value and viability to scale digital solutions
- Deliver presentations and demonstrations to raise organizational awareness of innovation concepts and technologies
- Monitor adoption and sustained benefits of the new digital tools, adjusting change management as required
- Administer Brightidea, the enterprise idea management platform, working with teams to promote their campaigns to crowdsource submissions and foster an innovative culture
- Contribute to the annual budget and project planning cycle supporting the vision of the long-term Digital Strategy
- Work with innovation ecosystem partners such as MaRS, Communitech, Plug and Play, curating events/activities to help increase employee engagement and facilitate action
- Collaborate with corporate/non-profit partners/academia on digital innovation initiatives and sponsorship/grant opportunities which align with Maple Leaf’s interests
What You’ll Bring:
- Interests in emerging technology and innovation subjects which progress user experience
- Driven self-starter, strong interpersonal skills, collaborative with strong networking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – able to conduct unbiased interviews, craft and deliver illustrative storytelling presentations and be relatable to a non-tech audience
- Confident engaging across all levels of the organization, from frontline workers to leadership audiences
- Good program / project management skills, familiarity with agile methodology and general change management principles beneficial
- Solid business acumen with an understanding of technology lifecycle, total cost of ownership (TCO) and business case development
- Experienced with Microsoft 365 productivity and collaboration tools, e.g. Teams, Office/PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint, etc.
- Ability to travel for plant visits, vendor or conference engagements as required
- > 5 years professional work experience in technology related field, preferably with experience delivering new technology solutions
- Post-secondary degree in computer technology, user experience, business management or other relevant programs or experiences
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.