The incumbent will coordinate the on-going development and enhancement of the facilities Occupational Health & Safety Program. This involves providing technical support, training, implementation and maintenance of the program to and for all employees and visitors at the Plant. This incumbent will also carry certain Environmental responsibilities as well as having responsibility for the Security of the Plant. This position is accountable for ensuring compliance with all health and safety, food safety and HACCP regulations and procedures
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Ensures plant compliance with Corporate policies and legislative requirements,
- Ensures roles and responsibilities are clearly defined, understood, and acted upon by Departmental Managers, Supervisors, Joint Health & Safety Committee members, and all employees,
- Develops, implements, and monitors the Safety Program including safe work procedures to meet operational objectives and initiates corrective action as required,
- Seeks continuous improvement to safety programs by conducting monthly departmental safety inspections, hazard analysis, periodic and annual audits and implements subsequent action plans,
- Provides a highly visible presence in the plant and ensures that safety and compliance issues are addressed or reported in a timely manner,
- Ensures timely reporting and follow-up on critical injuries and Ministry orders to Workplace Health & Safety officials, MLF, and the like,
- Provides leadership by instilling safety goals, objectives, and measurements; fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from all employees,
- Provides health and safety orientation to new employees, advice to HR staff, Safety Committees and leads plant audits, accident investigations, and safety promotion plans,
- Provides training to hourly and salaried employees including but not limited to WHMIS, Accident Investigation, Lockout Procedures, First Aid, Forklift Certification, etc.,
- Submits documentation to the Administrator (PBAS) for S.T.D. claims and to the WCB for case management and/or adjudication of claims and appeals for work-related accidents and injuries,
- Participates on the Rehabilitation Committee for early intervention and manages the modified duty and/or return to work programs in collaboration with the Rehabilitation Committee or WCB,
- Contracts with outside suppliers for PPE, audiometric assessments, noise level testing, ergonomic improvements,
- Remains in contact and available for calls on a 24-hour basis by pager or cellphone.
- Prepares business plans and objectives for Occupational Health & Safety, Environment and Security in conjunction with the other senior site team members.
- Develops Environmental processes and reports to comply with company and legislative requirements such as annual NPRI and other ad hoc government reporting, ongoing HWIN payments and registrations, Certificates of Air (C of A) updates and applications and Environmental risk assessments.
- Handles communication of policies and sets up contracts with local security agency.
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum grade 12 with preference to post-secondary education directly related to occupational health and safety
- A minimum of 5 years’ related experience in a manufacturing or process industry,
- Possess or be in the process of obtaining the CRSP designation,
- Knowledge of the Health and Safety Act and WCB Policy, Environmental regulations
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills, both written and oral,
- Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office software applications,
- Willing to relocate for promotional opportunities and career development.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.