Reporting to the VP Manufacturing Prepared Meats, you are responsible managing the overall results of the plant located in Saskatoon SK, while strictly adhering to Food Safety and Quality requirements and providing superior customer satisfaction as a lowest cost producer. The Plant Manager is charged to ensure the plant operates using good manufacturing practices, in an environment that is in compliance with health & safety and human resources standards. You will lead by example and inspire your team to deliver top results. You are passionate about safety and promote a culture where safety comes first. You thrive in an environment that is fast paced and have a keen sense for continuous improvement. Your approach is collaborative and offer a forum where everyone feels comfortable to bring forward new ideas.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Provide leadership to production staff, including direct supervision of senior supervisors and several production supervisors.
- Foster and maintain a positive labour relations environment by ensuring that all employees are treated with respect, grievances are dealt with in a timely manner, and employees are communicated with in an open manner.
- Motivate employees to embrace the Leadership Edge Values.
- Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operations and cost improvements in their production area.
- Monitor production inputs and outputs to minimize product loss and working towards achieving an accident free facility.
- Communicate the implementation for new or changes to Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices and HACCP to ensure consistent product quality and progressive food safety program.
- Champion continuous improvement for the manufacturing processes in supporting Six Sigma methodologies, leading meetings and specific projects (manufacturing excellence, etc.) to optimize production operations.
- Coach and develop managers and other team members, including Quality Assurance, Health and Safety, Maintenance, finance, Six Sigma, R&D, Distribution, and Human Resources utilizing daily manufacturing reports that capture manufacturing performance.
- Develop a cohesive, competent management team and planning for capable management succession by effectively acquiring, developing, and motivation site personnel.
- Develops, recommends, and implements Capital Improvement for plant, including the preparation and execution of a Capital Plant budget
- Prepare yearly operating budgets, standard cost of goods for raw materials, direct labour and plant overheads.
What You’ll Bring:
- Ideal candidate will have relevant post-secondary education (preferred University degree in Engineering, Food Science or Business)
- 7+ years of management experience in a unionized, manufacturing environment.
- Must demonstrate ability to schedule employees and production shifts within a fast-paced multi-shift environment.
- Should have strong financial analytical skills and be computer literate, including Microsoft Office software.
- Results oriented with ability to multi-task in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment.
- Well-developed written and communication skills, and ability to exercise timely and good judgment in day-to-day business decisions.
- Must be prepared to substitute for Production Supervisors’ absences as needed.
- Proven decision-making ability using various analytical tools (SAP, variance reports, downtime analysis, SWOT analysis, Six Sigma,metrics,etc.)
- Comfortable and effective in dealing with all levels of the diverse workforce as well as Government Regulators.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.