In a unionized environment, the Maintenance department at Maple Leaf Foods operates with a concept of a team environment to ensure plant efficiencies. As part of Maple Leaf Food’s Maintenance team, the individual will be responsible for maintaining and servicing equipment used in the facility for the daily production of our products. Maple Leaf Foods conducts a comprehensive wage survey each year to ensure our rates are competitive. The ability to work rotating shifts, including afternoon shift and weekends, are part of this role
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Must be able to install, troubleshoot, and repair complex production equipment with minimal supervision
- Strong on PM (preventative maintenance) procedures in a 24 hour/day operation
- Carry out oral/printed work requests and apply corrective action
- Perform regular work orders and account for inventory and labour on a computerized maintenance program
- Be able to read and understand mechanical drawings/schematics
- Machining and fabricating for equipment repairs and/or upgrades
- Enhance equipment performance, recommending improvements and implementing
- Understand and adhere to all plant Food Safety and Health and Safety Polices
- Ensure all job-related operations are in compliance with GMPs, HACCP, WHMIS and health & safety requirements
- Perform other duties as assigned
What You’ll Bring:
- Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) Journeyperson Certificate is preferred, however other trades such as Machinist, Welder or Mechanic with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Must have Red Seal certification
- Extensive mechanical knowledge including power transmission, pneumatics and hydraulics
- Knowledge of conveyors, industrial/stationary engines, pumps/compressor, grinders, welding equipment, electrical/electronic controls, lathes/machining tools, power tools, fans/blowers, hydraulic systems and high-speed packaging equipment
- Highly motivated – able to work well in a team and alone with minimal supervision
- Sense of urgency and attention to detail
- Some heavy lifting may be required
- Basic computer ability coupled with strong communication skills
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Annual tool allowance
- Weekend shift premium
- Reimbursement for license renewal
- Eligible for company paid health and dental benefits after 950 hours of employment (including medical, dental, life insurance, and disability)
- Company pension plan
- Bi-weekly pay
- Opportunity for over-time
- Employee Staff Sales Program
- Employee Referral Program
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.