A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Our poultry processing plant in Bradford, Ontario is currently seeking an enthusiastic, motivated and energetic individual to join the Maple Leaf family. Are you motivated, ready to be challenged and are driven to succeed in an environment that rewards success? Get a fresh start with Maple Leaf Foods!
The incumbent will be responsible for the total operation of the plant in accordance with the TSSA Act 2000 and Operating Engineers Regulation (O.Reg#219/01).
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Ensure total care and control of freon-based plant (moving to ammonia in near future)
- Participates in the development of a preventative maintenance program for areas under his/her responsibility with the Maintenance and Manufacturing Departments
- Ensures daily plant inspection of refrigeration and steam boiler systems and that all systems are operating in a safe and expected manner
- Ensures the recording of data and all relevant information to the operation of the plant under the Chief Engineer's jurisdiction
- Assesses the performance of the operating engineers and takes appropriate actions in line with Company policy and TSSA Act 2000
- Has a bias for action to reduce energy consumption be it gas, electricity, water, and ammonia usage
- Provides leadership by instilling safety, objectives, and measurements; fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from all employees
- Conducts detailed diagnostic audits of each plant, using Six Sigma processes and techniques and provides coaching and direction to the plant's management team
- Negotiates and partners with utility companies and urban government representatives
- Proven team leader, team player, committed to excellence, positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities as position requires, including acting as operating engineer as required.
- Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
- Other responsibilities as required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- Possess maintain a valid and current certificate at all times as a 4th Class Stationary Engineer or Refrigeration "B" Operator
- 3-5 years of maintenance experience in a manufacturing environment
- Good practices and safe operation of power plant
- Proficient computer skills with standard software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Windows)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Capable of lifting/carrying 10 kg, up and down stairs
- Previous work experience in boiler, ammonia refrigeration, steam and power distribution
- Troubleshooting experience is an asset
- Previous work experience with PLCs is an asset
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.