A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security. .
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager/Planning Manager, the Planner is the “quarterback” of the Maintenance department and plays a key role in managing Work Management, Asset Lifecycle Management, and Asset Reliability activities at the plant.
The Planner is responsible for developing comprehensive maintenance plans in alignment with the Asset Reliability Strategy, as well as managing, optimizing, coordinating, and scheduling required resources to execute the plans with minimal disruption to production.
This position is responsible for improving work force productivity and work quality by anticipating and eliminating potential delays through balancing the availability of internal labor, external contractors, parts & material, and equipment.
This position will drive proactive and effective maintenance planning and scheduling that is critical for a well-functioning organization and improved production.
This role has a high degree of visibility, where focus and attention are on avoiding unnecessary production delays while optimizing trades wrench-time is key for success. This role requires frequent interactions, negotiation, and direct engagement with Maintenance Managers, Plant Managers/Site Leads, Operations, Production and management in cross-functional groups, such as food and health safety, as well as external contractors and OEMs to advance the relationship and needs of all departments regarding planning and avoid unnecessary downtime.
The position requires strong communication, technical, organization, project management, and problem-solving skills for precise planning, management and analyses of the competing priorities of each department. Decision making, negotiation and stakeholder management skills will have significant impact on prioritizing work that is critical for optimizing trade’s utilization to increase productivity, maximizing asset lifecycle, and reduce equipment downtime towards the Maple Leaf Foods M/E Downtime BOLD GOAL.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
Develop comprehensive, and thorough maintenance job plans for routine or repetitive preventive, condition based, and predictive maintenance activities that facilitate the safe and effective execution of work
• Review, optimize, and update 5% of the PM routes registered in SAP every quarter
• Manage asset bill of material (BOM) supporting job plans, review and update 5% of the BOMs registered in SAP every quarter
• Create a scheduling horizon for short, mid and long-term activities including annual overhauls and new equipment installations; Develop extended maintenance schedules that facilitate the 3-year Plan
• Review, risk assess, and rout non-emergency work orders for approval at the correct organizational level against defined acceptance criteria based on the business risk
• Determine and recommend the scope and maintenance strategy (repair/overhaul/replace) of key maintenance work; document work plan, and manage required resources to full execution of the of preventive or corrective work
• Manage assets history, technical manuals, OEM support contracts and other technical files for inclusion in job plans to anticipate and avoid delays
• Develop condition-based monitoring routes, load levels, and seed dates
• Plan and schedule work using Visual Scheduling tool, PowerBI, and SAP using in depth analytics and advanced techniques.
• Track and analyze Maintenance KPIs; improve the lagging KPIs using insights from SAP and PowerBI
• Visit the floor with the goal of increasing team productivity by removing all obstacles to executing the work safely, correctly and with minimum downtime and effort. Adopt the concept of eyes on the job and eyes on the parts
• Optimize maintenance labor availability vs. workload to minimize production disruptions
• Prioritize maintenance work using criticality analysis; schedule work through proactive communications with Maintenance & Production to ensure the highest value and/or most critical work is being scheduled and completed in a timely manner
• Lead maintenance planning/scheduling meetings where maintenance interventions are synchronized with Production • Develop schedule loading with the understanding of resource availability, operational requirements and a knowledge of time, cost and quality estimating
• Lead PM Optimization activities, Root Cause Failure Analysis, PM/overhaul postmortems, and work order quality reviews
• Understand the risks and timing variances that may occur and adjust as necessary to ensure schedule and cost compliance, this includes early start and late finish dates as well as asset criticality
• Review and regularly update all maintenance backlogs
• Provide technical assistance as required for maintenance personnel in executing the work
• Strongly collaborate with the stores and the MRO staff to ensure the availability of parts / materials to execute work
• Monitor parts/materials from point of order until staging
• Seek approval to expedite parts for late jobs
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
Education, Experience, and Skills Requirements:
• Minimum 5 year of experience
• Minimum college diploma; university degree in is preferred; Journeyperson’s ticket is a significant asset
• Project Management Professional and/or related technical diploma preferred
• Must be highly competent and thrive on using and championing advanced technology such as Asset Reliability Mobility, Visual Scheduler, PowerBI, and Intelligent Enterprise Asset Management systems.
• Extensive experience in applying proven Maintenance best practices in industrial environment (5 years)
• Experience with implementing and in-depth knowledge of maintenance and reliability concepts • Experience in client facing or site support roles including technical consulting
• High degree of competency in performing in-depth analytics, drawing insights, and continuous improvement
• Experience in manufacturing or industrial environment
• Highly skilled with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems is a must-have skill (CMMS); SAP is preferred
• Experience with technology, reporting, analytical platforms • Advanced software skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
• Self-starter, high energy, customer oriented, with superb communication/interpersonal skills
• Continuous improvement mindset, critical thinker, challenging the status quo • Highly results oriented, extremely organized, and capable of working independently while managing multiple priorities
• Must be highly adaptable to constant change and comfortable in a very fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of GMPs, food safety development and health & safety requirements.
• Knowledge of contract development and execution
• Proven capability to provide technical leadership to business and operations.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills at all levels
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.