A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, this individual will provide HR guidance and leadership to an hourly client group as well as execute HR initiatives in a large manufacturing environment employing 750+ unionized employees. The Advisor is a skilled generalist with a proven track record of building impactful relationships with key stakeholders. This position will appeal to candidates with a passion for problem solving and thinking outside the box . Being able to manage a variety of tasks in a fast paced, dynamic environment will be essential for success. This individual will be energetic, results driven and have a strong desire to deliver exceptional client focus partnerships.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Establish and maintain credibility with all employees by addressing, following up and responding to questions, concerns and problems quickly, professionally and accurately
- Responsible for leading and implementing the hiring activities for the hourly staff – recruitment/interviewing/selection
- Completion of orientation, payroll, benefits, Pension enrolment and probationary review documentation
- Update employee information in HRMS (including job, wage, address, direct deposit); ensure Kronos updates to reflect HRMS changes
- The co-ordination of internal job postings, transfers, layoffs, recalls and related administration
- Facilitate the grievance meetings from step one through to step three and document all actions with coaching from the HR manager
- Manage monthly reports i.e., turnover %, attendance, Head Count per department
- Track and advise supervisors / managers of discipline levels for hourly employees
- Receive and respond to employee and outside inquiries
- Review and updating of policies and procedures
- Take a lead role in interpreting the collective agreement and administering changes from collective bargaining
- Other duties as required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Labour or Industrial Relations
- Previous experience in a unionized manufacturing environment an asset
- Previous experience in the area of Human Resources and managing a client group is required
- Previous experience in Labour Relations an asset
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication (oral, written, listening) skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, prioritization and organization skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks or projects
- Interviewing and selection experience required
- Knowledge of Employment Standards Act, Human Rights
- Ability to coach, train and influence others
- Ability to proactively improve current processes and increase efficiencies.
- Proficient computer skills, especially with MS Outlook, Excel, Databases and Word
- Ability to work independently as well as be an active team player
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.