Sourcing Buyer - MRO
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Maple Leaf Foods (MLF) Purchasing Team is responsible for the Strategic Sourcing of goods and services across the organization. The team is focused on maximizing contribution to the bottom line, lowering organizational risk and providing excellent stakeholder support. An opportunity exists to join the Purchasing team as a Sourcing Buyer, MRO, supporting the Corporate Spend and Co-Manufacturing teams. This position is responsible for working collaboratively with Purchasing Team members and business stakeholders to strategically source categories to improve overall value to MLF. The successful candidate can expect to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment and be exposed to Six Sigma methodologies delivered through ARIBA and SAP platforms. The successful candidate will have an immediate opportunity to participate in other challenging Strategic Sourcing initiatives.
As a Sourcing Buyer, you will work closely with the MRO, Plant Sourcing Lead, and support procurement operations, the leadership team, and key stakeholders on competitive cost sourcing initiatives of MRO and MRO spend categories. This role requires efficient and accurate processing and documentation of transactions, with the overall goal of minimizing the total cost of transactions without impacting service levels.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to create and implement strategic sourcing strategies
- As well as day to day operational affairs
- Provide leadership and expertise in a variety of areas including: category strategy support and development
- RFX development and oversight and vendor negotiations
- Develop and execute source plans for key spend categories
- Run transparent RFX events
- Participate in contract negotiations with key vendors
- Lead cross-functional project teams to execute sourcing initiatives
- Manage constructive supplier relationships for assigned categories
- Meet annual cost reduction targets in assigned categories
- Facilitate bids, analysis and negotiations for goods and services
- Accurate and timely processing of all purchase orders according to MLF standard process
- Manage the day-to-day business relationship with key suppliers through supporting activities
- Including ordering, communication of demand/ volume/ delivery time changes, issue resolution
- Sharing of end-user feedback, follow up on backorders, etc.
- Develop a strong understanding and knowledge of suppliers and capabilities
- Assist with contract development and execution
- Manage supplier relationships to ensure continuity of good and services
- Meeting the quality, service and price performance standards of the company
- Identifying, prioritizing and impacting key business opportunities
- Working with stakeholders and leadership teams to implement and enforcing polices
- Increase spend visibility and compliance
- Works closely with Finance teams to expedite receiving and AP processes
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.