Corporate Strategy Manager
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Strategy Manager is a leader and/or contributing participant on various strategic issues and opportunities facing Maple Leaf’s businesses (e.g. mergers and acquisitions, competitive strategy development, opportunity analysis, business risk analysis, acquisition/divestiture analysis).
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
Strategic analyses of moderate size and complexity with responsibility for:
- Information Gathering: Working at all levels of the organization to solicit input, gather information, discuss/debate options for analysis.
- Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis: Complete business analytics including primary and secondary data gathering, industry and competitor analysis, and financial modeling.
- Synthesis and Documentation: Synthesizing collected information, analytical findings and issues into concise actionable summaries suitable for presentation to senior management /executives.
- Stakeholder Management: Developing fact-based recommendations and action plans on key business issues including managing stakeholder input in the development and approval of recommended actions.
- Interpersonal: Build strong working relationships with other strategy staff and cross functional teams to draw information and knowledge for successful strategy design.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Brings a diverse perspective that complements the skills, strengths and opportunities of the team
- 3-5 years relevant experience in strategic analysis of business opportunities and issues (might include experience in strategy consulting, business analysis/planning)
- Strong skills in quantitative analysis/modeling
- Experience working effectively across the organization to produce desired results
- Ability to assess issues/options from a high-level then dive deeply into the analytics to assess options and confirm hypotheses
- Capable of synthesizing information from a variety of sources to develop alternative options and assess their impacts
- Comfortable interacting and building relationships with Senior Executives including presenting issues, options and recommendations
- Comfortable with managing ambiguous problem statements & ability to cope with uncertainty
- Proven ability to manage moderate sized projects or major work-streams relatively independently
- Highly motivated, detail oriented individual with excellent written and verbal communication
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.