A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The HACCP Specialist is responsible for the review of records related to HACCP monitoring. The lead hand will be training new and existing employees on GMP and any relevant changes to any programs. Monitors and identifies required changes in any existing processes or documents as required. Overview and implementation of the quality system.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Plan and perform environmental swabbing of both food contact and non-food contact surfaces for microbiological analysis.
- Review and analyze microbial, environmental and area swabs results and follow up.
- Daily collection of QA samples by aseptic technique and coordinate activities with external lab.
- Interact with CFIA inspectors in order to perform CVS tasks and documentation review, as per requirements and schedule.
- Implement HACCP program in the processing and packaging area as per CFIA guidelines and specifications.
- Perform as per Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Perform and verify all HACCP pre-requisite programs are carried out as per schedule and report any non-conformance to HACCP Coordinator and/or concerned department.
- Monitor and verify adherence to all critical control point (CCPs)
- Monitor all elements of GMP programs are in compliance, carry out risk assessment and root cause analysis in case of any deviations.
- Maintain and update Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP Plans and SOP’s.
- Reviews pre-operational inspections, operational inspections, seasoning formulation records, daily CCP monitoring records, receiving records and shipping records.
- Create training material and perform training to support GMP/HACCP/Sanitation programs, at all levels of company and provide routine employee training on quality, regulatory, and food safety principles and policies.
- Conduct on-site observation for quality control and quality assurance monitors.
- Maintain deviation database and follow-up on deviations for any non-compliance situation.
- Verification of accuracies and daily calibration check and maintenance of measuring devices (scale, thermometer, etc).
- Issue production holds and corrective actions if product quality issues arise. Maintain ‘Hold and Release’ database by identifying and responding to any deviations from regulatory standards and report any deviances for further actions.
- Pro-active on the floor to implement corrective action, work cordially with departments such as Production, Maintenance and Human Resources to resolve any issues.
- Trained designee who covers for absences or vacancies in the QA
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Completion of High school
- Post secondary education in a related field (preferred)
Knowledge and abilities
- Reading text, Document use,
- Communication, Critical thinking
- Job task planning and organizing
- Significant use of memory, Finding information
- Ability to interpret and apply government regulations
- Intermediate computer skills with email, Microsoft suites
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Working with others
- Problem solving
- Decision making
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Ensure that you the worker works in compliance with the provisions of this Act and the regulations complies with the Act and regulations (Section 28(1)(a);
- Ensure that you use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the worker’s employer requires to be used or worn (Section 28(1)(b);
- report to his or her employer or supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker; and (Section 28(1)(c);
- report to his or her employer or supervisor any contravention of this Act or the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows. (Section 28(1)(d);
- No worker shall; remove or make ineffective any protective device required by the regulations or by his or her employer, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately; (Section 28(2)(a);
- No worker shall; use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker; or (Section 28(2)(b);
- No worker shall; engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
- When contractors or visitors are in the facility or on our job sites, Supervisors and workers will monitor their activities to ensure they are working safely and not putting workers at risk.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.