Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, located in Bradford, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneider’s Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
Job Title: Health & Safety Intern
Contract: July 19th - December 31st, 2021 (with possible extension)
Shift Details: Monday - Friday, 37.5 hours per week
Location: 65 Reagens Industrial Parkway, Bradford, ON
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The position is located at the Bradford Poultry facility which is a poultry processing plant. We are a two-shift operation (Days and Afternoons) and employ approximately 370 people. The intern would work under the guidance of the Health, Safety, Security and Environment Manager. Areas that the student would assist in are:
• Create and conduct health and safety training for employees
• Attend Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings and assist with monthly audits
• Participate in the completion of JSA’s, PDA’s, and SOP’s
• Update current Health and Safety policies
• Assist with data analysis trending for incidents
• Maintain health and safety board and communication screens
• Conduct risk assessments for job tasks
• Maintain training records and medical information for employee files
• Provide first aid for work and non-work-related injuries
• Project work as assigned by Manager
Skills & Qualifications
To be successful in this position, you must:
• Be working towards a Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Health and Safety, Kinesiology or equivalent work experience.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
• Proficient in computer software (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word)
• Problem-solving abilities
• Proven initiative – balance priorities while exercising timely and good judgement in day-to-day business decisions
• Interpersonal skills and ability to connect with all levels of the facility
• CPR and First Aid certificate is an asset
The intern would work mainly the day shift but being flexible to work the occasional afternoon shift would be required.
Please apply with an updated resume and current phone number.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods has an accommodation process for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability need during your employment, please contact your local HR representative. Our accommodation policy can be provided upon request and in accessible format.