A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Maintenance Supervisor supervises and coaches the Maintenance team to ensure safe, efficient execution of the maintenance work and optimal operational effectiveness in line with corporate and site objectives.
The Maintenance Supervisor is an experienced Maintenance leader with at least 5 years of experience in a Maintenance supervisory or leadership role applying proven Maintenance best practices in a fast pace industrial environment. A technical diploma/ticket is required. The Supervisor is familiar with using a CMMS system and with applying Standard Operating Procedures in his/her work. The Supervisor follows company policies, standards and guidelines as they apply to all activities.
The Supervisor has strong leadership and communication skills, works well in a team environment, is responsible and is open to change. The person is results oriented and quality driven.
The Maintenance Supervisor promotes and maintains a safe working environment through compliance with MLF’s Health and Safety Program. This includes Food Safety and Environmental compliance.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide inputs into Preventive Maintenance (PM) reviews and PM development activities.
- Responsible for assigned activities related to the site's asset performance improvement objectives and guidelines.
- Oversee the internal equipment rebuilds and review external rebuilds.
- Provide input to the work prioritization process and manage emergency and break-in work.
- Provide inputs at the daily work request review meeting.
- Provide inputs into the maintenance job plans.
- Provide inputs to the work job scope.
- Provide inputs into changes that affect the asset's bills of materials (BOM) and work with stores to optimize part/material levels.
- Own the weekly schedule, once it is published and adjust to accommodate emergency and break-in work.
- Provide technical assistance as required for maintenance personnel in executing the work.
- Assign work to work crews based on their competency, rather than on their availability.
- Communicate requirement for corrective work to Planning in a formal, timely, fashion, i.e. work order (WO).
- Conduct quarterly audits of the Trades people against the skills matrix and remedial action identified and applied to resolve shortfalls.
- Lead the shift handover meeting.
- Review job delay codes and times to identify opportunities to improve workforce performance.
- Ensure that WO are updated in accordance with defined standards.
- Monitor WO completion at least 3 times per shift and provide coaching/support as needed. Provide regular feedback to Production as to progress of work being executed.
- Refer to visual boards in the workshop listing daily work scope and weekly KPI's.
- Review completed WO's to ensure that the Trades people record actual time worked on the WO. Compare to time planned and addressed significant variances.
- Conduct a pre-check of tools, equipment, kitted and staged parts, and materials on all planned and scheduled jobs
- Ensure that parts and machine assemblies removed from service are promptly sent for repair/rebuild if required.
- Ensure constant use of housekeeping practices, satisfying all safety requirements, to clean up the work site as part of every job. Workplace safety assessments are used regularly.
- Schedule overtime or contract work as needed and manage contractors, while respecting budgetary limits.
- Verify/ensure accuracy and completeness of WO documentation before sending to Planner and list issues to address.
- Provide technical assistance in analyzing planned and completed WO to improve current and future job plans.
- Identify and address knowledge gaps from completed WOs,
- Responsible for the application of the site's documented Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) process and results for major sporadic and chronic failures.
- Review Trades skills annually and develop a training plan to resolve gaps.
- Responsible for applying defined roles and responsibilities for Trades.
- Responsible for the Maintenance Supervisor cross shift hand-over process.
- Cooperatively create equipment handover and release schedules with Operations including pre and post job communication.
- Oversee the return of spares to the warehouse.
- Participate in the Maintenance department's continuous improvement and knowledge collection efforts.
- Manage the mentor/apprentice program for specific Trades roles.
- Collect, track, and improve Maintenance execution KPIs.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.