A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the individual will be performing electrical maintenance, servicing, repairing, rebuilding, and installation of food processing, robotic and packaging equipment. This includes troubleshooting, problem solving, and preventive maintenance to building systems and/or processing equipment with working knowledge of mechanical requirements in order to allow efficient repair or replacement.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Minimize production downtime by responding to production calls promptly
• Read and interpret drawings, blueprints and electrical code specifications
• Install, examine, replace or repair electrical wiring, receptacles, switch boxes, conduits, feeders, case assemblies and other electrical components
• Repair and trouble-shoot production equipment
• Completion of required preventative maintenance schedules, work orders and equipment tracking
• Active contribution to the preventative maintenance program by submitting recommendations for improvement
• Repair ventilation controls, alarm systems, and other equipment as required
• Conduct assessments and/or audits of facilities and/or equipment
• Document and record all finished and unfinished scheduled work orders
• Seek out and apply best practices as solutions to correct deficiencies
• Electrical equipment (AC Drives, power control circuits, starters, MCC's, motors)
• Microprocessor based systems (PLC's, VFD’s, Electronic circuits, controls)
• Instrumentation (pneumatic controls, PID, transducers, servos, analog/digital signals)
• Communication and Data Systems (closed circuit TV, timekeeping, phone/computer)
• Assist in planning, organizing of work activities (drawing interpretation, parts preparation)
• Low and medium voltage distribution systems (single and three phase systems)
• Power distribution (transformers, switchgears, breakers)
• HVAC, emergency systems (boilers, refrigeration, energy control, alarm)
• Understand and adhere to all plant Food/Health and Safety Polices
• All other duties as assigned
What we have to offer you:
• Career development opportunities.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
• Must have Red Seal Certification or Alberta trade certification
• minimum 2 years industrial experience well developed industrial troubleshooting capabilities
• Must have a full complement of personal/professional hand tools
• Ability to work rotating shifts, including night shift
• Available for weekend overtime as production demands require
• Sense of urgency and attention to detail
• Strong team player as well ability to work alone
• Safety conscious
• Heavy lifting maybe required
• Ability to work well in a team environment
• Basic computer ability coupled with strong communication skills
• Knowledge of conveyors, industrial engines, pumps / compressors, electronic controls, power tools, fans / blowers, hydraulic systems and high speed packaging equipment
• Ability to organize, plain daily tasks and execute them with minimal supervision
• Good mathematical, analytical and problem solving skills
Candidates applying will be able to work a rotating schedule every 2 weeks from days to nights.
Any welding or mechanical abilities considered an asset
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.