Food Safety, Quality Assurance Co-op Student
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf, Maple Leaf Prime, Maple Leaf Natural Selections, Schneiders, Schneiders Country Naturals and Mina. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
The co-op student will support the Food Safety, Quality Assurance department at Maple Leaf Foods - Brampton Poultry where he/she will gain exposure to managing quality in a fast-paced food manufacturing environment. The incumbent will have an important role managing documentation related to product specifications and ensuring compliance with those specifications as part of a larger Quality Metrics initiative.
Education, Experience & Competency Requirements:
- Work with the Quality Assurance staff to learn and execute on the Finish Product Specification Quality Metric at the plant including reviewing and documenting finished product specification gaps against the Standard and deficiencies in shop floor documents
- Plan actions to close the gap on any product specification gaps and hold others accountable to the gap closure plan
- Close gaps found from the Finished Product Specification Quality metric by working with Product Development and other functions, as applicable.
- Create Shop Floor documentation that accurately and clearly reflects Finish Product Specifications, Quality Parameters and directives
- Determine creative and effective solutions for accessibility of Shop Floor Specification documentations
- Support new Shop Floor hard copy document management process
- Assist with and perform on-site verifications of various plant activities, including employee tasks
- Assist QA team with plant inspections on shop floor (cold environment)
- Assist with train plant employees on Quality Assurance policies and procedures
- Monitoring of the facility's pre-requisite programs.
- Facilitating new hire orientation training sessions of plant staff Updating and verifying policies and procedures of the facility to assist with updating FSQA SOPs.
- Data entry and trending plant Quality Assurance data and metrics, as required.
- Participating in continuous improvement projects at the plant.
- Other duties as assigned by FSQA Manager or FSQA Supervisor.
- Enrolled in a program relating to in Food Science, Quality or related discipline
- Interest in food industry
- Exceptional problem-solving, troubleshooting and analytical skills. Process thinking capability is a must
- Strong computer skills including the use of SAP (ECP and RD) as well as Microsoft Office (Excel, Visio, PowerPoint)
- Strong communication skills, especially written communication
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Candidate must be results oriented and able to work as a contributing team member
- Willingness to work on Night and Afternoon shifts as required to get the job done
- Willingness to work