Training & Certification Specialist
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
The Training & Certification Specialist is a critical part of the successful start-up of our new London, ON manufacturing facility. Reporting to the Human Resources Leader, this role will be responsible for developing, coordinating, and delivering training programs, including the appropriate structures and systems required to track and measure certification levels for the facility. They will work closely with the leadership team in ensuring that the facility has the required skills and competencies necessary to execute against operational needs.
As a Training & Certification Specialist, you will:
- Act as a champion for our culture and participate in the development and execution of a positive and productive environment focused on the needs of our people and consistent with our Leadership Values.
- Design and implement a learning program by working with key stakeholders and subject matter experts to identify learning requirements, creating a training plan and tracking progress in a manner that supports the successful startup of the site.
- Design and develop effective and engaging content and materials, employing recognized adult learning principles within designed solutions, adapting content and materials to the needs of the learner. Work with functional subject-matter-experts to ensure the content is reflective of best business requirements and address existing skill gaps.
- Facilitate learning programs and provide coaching for facilitators to ensure successful delivery of sessions and high-quality experience for participants.
- Follow-up on the outcomes of programs against learning objectives to ensure actual outcomes meet learning objectives. Compile measurements of program activities and outcomes and develop effective reporting practices to ensure sustainability.
- Identify issues and recommend program improvements to ensure programs are delivered efficiently, and participants experience a high-quality learning program that delivers business outcomes.
- Manage and collaborate with outside vendors to ensure the successful delivery of content and/or key programs. Provide feedback on program outcomes to ensure continuous improvement.
- Develop learning priorities based on needs assessment and input from the leadership team. Build an annual learning plan incorporating long term learning strategy and learning priorities for the operations leaders and their functional teams.
- Build partner relationships with operations and key stakeholders.
- Maintain proficiency in the technologies used by the organization to support learning in the operations functions.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- College or University degree in education, training, adult learning, organizational behaviour, human resources or in one of the operations functions. Preference given to those with Institute for Performance & Learning or equivalent certification in adult learning principles.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in learning and development, training or any of the operations functions.
- Experience in a unionized, manufacturing setting would be considered an asset.
- Experience in adult learning theory, program design and management, course design, content development, and facilitation.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with key cross-functional business stakeholders across all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously, as well as the proven ability to deliver in a fast paced, dynamic business environment.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.