Customer Business Development Manager - IGA Quebec (Sobeys)
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
A champion and advocate for MLF and customer(s). Responsible for developing and strengthening customer relationships, managing and growing both MLF and customer’s business, and bringing category management knowledge and expertise to our customers.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Reach and exceed internal commitments such as such as volume, profit, and trade spend ROI
- Understand customer’s strategy and build strong relationships beyond daily transactional interactions
- Achieve profitable growth through the understanding and manipulation of key sales fundamentals; distribution, pricing, promotion and display
- Lead the complete sales process through joint business planning, negotiation, forecasting, trade fund management, volume incentive planning, gap closing, and business reviews
- Sell in a fact-based way utilizing various sources of available data such as Nielsen, IRI and other POS data to diagnose the business and turn insights into selling strategies
- Demonstrate and build upon basic financial acumen through the understanding and management of Maple Leaf and Sobeys P&Ls
- Passionately acquire strong knowledge and expertise in our products, industry and the category management so that you become the customer’s consultant on the business
- Exercise strong multi-functional leadership both internally and at the customer by frequent and proactive engagement of available resources to deliver the business. For example, marketing, insights, field sales, category sales development, finance, demand planning and supply chain
- Occasional overnight travel required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 5 to 7 years CPG account management sales experience
- University Degree – Business education preferred
- Strong commercial sense and industry knowledge
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Self-management and organizational skills
- Creative thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to “think on one’s feet” and make decisions independently in a fast-paced environment
- Leadership and emotional maturity
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficient computer skills
- Category Management expertise
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to demonstrate Maple Leaf Leadership Values
- Bilingual is required (French/English)
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.