Industrial Engineering Specialist - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Industrial Engineering team at Maple Leaf Foods supports all of Maple Leaf’s manufacturing facilities across North America. The Industrial Engineering team works alongside factory leadership and the corporate head office, located in Mississauga Ontario, to set labour standards and performance targets, and to identify opportunities to maximize efficiencies across the manufacturing network.
We are seeking for an experienced Industrial Engineering specialist to join the central IE team in support of our facilities in Ontario. The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing labour standards and tracking labour performance, identifying opportunities for improvement, as well as working on exciting opportunities to support medium / long-term strategic initiatives within Maple Leaf Foods. You will be partnered with a variety of stakeholders across an expansive cross-functional team (including marketing, R&D, operations, finance, etc…) to develop comprehensive and sustainable plans to meet the company’s objectives, goals, strategies, and measures. Success will be measured in the direct & indirect contributions the team has made in a challenging zero-based budget environment
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Establishment of Labour Standards – Measure, document, track, and update standards to ensure the correct costing of labour, packaging, and raw materials at our production facilities
- Master Capacity Planning – Lead the planning and management of MLF’s manufacturing capacities with the Supply Chain and the Commercial teams
- Product Development Process – Provide manufacturing insight (cost, capacity, capability) on product development / innovation opportunities for all business units
- Process Optimization – Line balancing, labour optimization, line debottlenecking, and waste elimination using IE tools like time studies and job analysis
- Strategic Initiatives – Provide objective and analytical guidance to support the organization’s sustainable growth
- Other duties as required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Industrial Engineering (or equivalent) degree at a recognized post-secondary institution
- Professional Engineering Designation (or eligibility)
- 3 to 5+ years of relevant industrial experience (CPG, Food & Beverage, or high-speed manufacturing preferred), fundamental understand of manufacturing required
- Practical experience with Industrial Engineering tools such as Labour Standards, Methods Analysis, Time Studies, and Line Balancing
- Knowledge of Sales & Operational Planning, Capacity Planning, Economical Order Quantity strategies
- Organized and capable of working independently while managing multiple priorities
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and data management
- Technical curiosity and a questioning attitude
- Developed communication & interpersonal skills
- Continuous Improvement mindset
- 30% to 40% travel within Ontario required
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.