A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Sanitation Supervisor - Contract
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The incumbent will be responsible for effectively supervising and controlling the cleaning and sanitation of processing equipment, utensils and the entire plant environment. The incumbent will guide and direct up to 20 contract and hourly employees as the production facility is disassembled, cleaned, sanitized and reassembled in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures and will audit the effectiveness of all sanitation activity on a daily basis.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Manage, motivate and provide direct leadership to the contract sanitation staff and all night shift hourly support staff
- Oversee the dismantling, cleaning, reassembly and sanitization of equipment, surfaces, utensils and plant environment by providing direction, working ‘hands on’ to motivate and provide technical support to all sanitation employees and other plant employees as required
- Oversee ATP swabbing and TPC swabs in accordance with prescribed schedule
- Plan sanitation requirements and activities by establishing priorities, scheduling, assigning work and communicating with sanitation staff and key stakeholders frequently and regularly within timelines
- Review pre-operational inspections on a daily basis in order to report non-compliance and take corrective actions to assure compliance to all quality assurance food safety requirements
- Complying with all relevant legislation including Occupational Health and Safety regulations, suitable candidates will be proactive in the elimination of workplace accidents and injuries
- Monitor, create and update Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs) and participate in audits
- Accountable for the result and action plans audits as they relate to sanitation
- Orient, train (one on one, or group training), develop, coach, discipline, respond to employee suggestions and concerns, provide feedback, administer employee time and attendance records and recognize employees in a timely manner
- Manage inventory and safely store sanitation agents and cleaning substances
- Maintain positive union and employee relations environment
- Liaise / work with 3rd party sanitation contractors and chemical supplier technical staff to troubleshoot and eliminate root cause issues of non conformities
- Chair the weekly sanitation meeting, recording and distributing minutes as required
- Support and execute the Company’s Food Safety programs at the facility in conjunction with Quality Assurance, Microbiology and Food Safety
- Other responsibilities as required
- Recognize, support and commit to the Food Safety promise and facility Mission statement
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Relevant Post secondary education
- 2 years supervisory experience
- Knowledge and experience with Sanitation as it relates to Food Safety
- Aptitude for continuous learning
- Must be flexible to work varying shifts and weekends
- 2 years experience in food processing facility
- Proven leadership abilities
- Able to manage and build a team independently
- Detail and results oriented
- Strong ability to communicate (i.e. read, speak and write) in English
- Proficient in MS Office tools (Excel and Word).
- Knowledge of industry related quality systems and inspection programs, cleaning systems (CIP, COP) and chemicals
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMP, WHMIS, First Aid, Food Safety, Basic Food Microbiology, Lock Out and Tag Out, and Health and Safety Regulations
- Able to work in cold, humid or wet manufacturing environment, work with chemicals
- Position requires constant and frequent standing / walking with occasional lifting of up to 30 Kgs
- Experience working in a unionized plant
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership ability
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.