A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Product Management Associate
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Product Management Associate is responsible for sourcing the requested amount of raw material supply for their designated Prepared Meats and Further Process Poultry facilities, based on the weekly requirements set out by Supply Chain. They are accountable for delivering products that meet the required specifications and timelines, while minimizing the overall purchase cost to Maple Leaf. As well, they will assist to the Raw Material Procurement Manager in supporting the MLF innovation agenda by acting as a subject market expert on new Further Processed Chicken initiatives; providing input on raw material availability and pricing. This role is unique to Maple Leaf and industry as the role focuses on fresh chicken & turkey procurement. Product Management Associate will provide support through reporting and provide insight on the profitability of key poultry cuts. Provide support cross functionally to promote increased and maintained GP’s in key cuts directed by the Manager – Product Management & Procurement.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Co-ordinate internally produced materials from Fresh Poultry Plants to Prepared Meats Facilities
• Optimize use of raw materials to maximize the full value chain profitability
• Day to day management of raw material from internal and external supply to FP Poultry facilities, ensuring uninterrupted supply of raw materials.
• Forecast raw material requirements
• Process purchase orders, responsible for approx. $100 M Dollars in purchases.
• Understand impact to business as associate can purchase up to $250 K per transaction.
• Negotiate Pricing for all external purchases, short and long term.
• Make best decisions for Maple Leaf in fast paced environment, to mitigate loses.
• Problem solving, making sure the right teams come together to find solutions.
• Arrange/expedite transport of raw materials for non-FOB activities
• Investigate and action NCRs
• Support Manager Product Management & Procurement on the sourcing, testing and approval of new materials and products
• Monitor, maintain and issue required reporting
• Support Manager Product Management & Procurement in developing a supply base that provides maximum value to Maple Leaf Foods – Minimize outside spot purchases and avoid internal commodity sales by recommending production schedule changes.
• Monitor frozen inventories and communicate issues or opportunities as required
• Track & report supplier fill rate / order conformance
• Investigate and invoice issues in timely manner and ensure the completion of return goods forms and debit/credit memos
• Provide back up coverage for fellow associates
• Perform ongoing system maintenance / planning tools updates
• Track and Balance Maple Leaf Quota transactions
• Provide Product Manager insights and recommendations on key cut profitability and track monthly GPS on selected cuts.
• Demonstrated ability to interact and contribute to purchasing team and other departments in achieving their goals and objectives, act as subject matter expert.
• Demonstrated ability to influence plant operations with raw material improvements and ordering efficiencies.
• Demonstrated ability to improve supplier relationships and resolve conflicts in a timely manner
• Work with Logistics and Plants on delivery windows and timing to insure Plants are not impacted.
• Achievement of yearly objectives and development plans
• Long range plan and visibility to excess or purchase requirements for Chicken raw materials
• Improvement in the storage and retrieval of purchasing information to support internal stakeholders
• Improvement of the purchasing administrative process.
• Timely delivery of raw materials to plant at the right price with the right Quality.
What we have to offer you:
• Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
• Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
• 2 to 3 years of experience in the management and / or procurement of a commodity based category
• University degree or Community College diploma in a related field
• Demonstrated purchasing and / or negotiating experience
• Professional purchasing training an asset
•Team player with strong communication and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment
• Ability to work independently and drive to solutions.
• Ability to negotiate pricing at fair market values.
• Action oriented with a proven ability to execute in a highly demanding purchasing environment
• Exceptional organizational abilities and time management skills
• Professional attitude and dedication to outstanding quality
• Ability to improve process by proactively seeking and implementing new opportunities
• Ability to understand stakeholder needs and meet those needs in a timely manner
• Superior analytical skills and the ability to quickly and efficiently evaluate large data sets using advanced techniques (pivot tables, logic statements, macro information)
• Superior IT skills including Excel, Word, SAP and BPCS
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.