A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
- Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
This position is for a technically strong engineer with effective communication and leadership skills, high energy and motivation. The qualified candidate will be working with site and corporate; maintenance, asset reliability, and engineering teams. The facility operates diverse assets/machineries with varying degrees of automation and complexity. The individual will use structured tools and methodologies combined with analytical skills to evaluate equipment data and failure history to determine root causes of failure. The role includes establishing effective maintenance strategies and standards for continuous improvement of equipment reliability. Focus for this position is on programs for fixed assets, requiring knowledge of failure modes, corrosion, non-destructive testing and strategies for repair and replacement.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Work with maintenance professionals and process equipment to improve reliability
- Provide technical support in areas of expertise to troubleshoot and identify root causes of failures and determine best strategy to improve reliability
- Review spare parts strategies to optimize equipment availability.
- Support continuous improvement of maintenance professionals/technicians, engineers and reliability specialists to improve their skills in trouble-shooting, root cause analysis, and development of proactive maintenance strategies.
- Develop and maintain maintenance and equipment standards as needed
- Function as the point person to address technical issues in several classes of equipment as the subject-matter-expert
- Work with corporate Asset Reliability (AR) group to advance the site reliability maturity in alignment with the corporate strategies.
- Lead and own the site’s RCM initiatives (Asset Criticality Analysis, Critical Spares Analysis, FMEA, MTA (Maintenance Task Analysis), sporadic or chronic RCA).
- Drive the establishment of risk-based, condition-based, and predictive maintenance.
- Interface with internal and global teams to translate improvements.
- Identify, engineer and implement projects/programs to increase productivity and reliability.
- Routinely monitor process parameters and PdM data of critical systems. Review and analyze the respective performance KPIs to predict and prevent failures. Proactively address operational or integrity issues with corrective action recommendations.
- Proactively address operational or integrity issues with corrective action recommendations.
- Develop and optimize equipment strategies and lead efforts to eliminate performance killers.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Mechanical Engineering (preferred)
- Automation or HMI experience (preferred)
- Demonstrated accomplishments in improving equipment reliability
- Working knowledge of equipment maintenance best practices
- Demonstrated skills in RCM II and a wide range of asset reliability concepts.
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to effectively retrieve and analyze data
- Strong working knowledge of SAP
- 5 – 10 years of experience with a focus on reliability and maintenance improvement.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.