The Manager of Commodities Grains/Proteins is critical high impact role at Maple Leaf Foods (MLF). The role is primarily focused on the purchasing of feed grains and proteins for Maple Leaf Agri-Farms (MLAF) hog production. This person will have a major role in negotiating with suppliers and maintaining contracts and position statements. Providing analytical support for development of strategies will also be a key responsibility. External focus will be critical for success as MLAF’s procurement is both regionally and globally influenced. This role will also have exposure to the risk management of MLAF’s hog position and the person will develop an understanding how the management of grain/ protein risk and hog risk intersect. This role will report to the Director of Commodities Grains/Proteins.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by February 20. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Negotiate with suppliers and execute contracts ensuring MLF quality grade standards and specifications are maintained
- Manage purchase commitments and supplier contract details in SAP
- Prepare market focused reports for Risk Management (Microsoft Word & PowerPoint)
- Transact related futures and options positions
- Attend and participate at farmer and grain industry market events
- Ensure purchasing activities conform to the overall strategy
- Provide analytical support to procurement strategy development
- Maintain a local, regional, and global market awareness
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure invoice variances are managed and resolved effectively
- Manage farmer direct purchases including all related levy deductions and reports
- Provide key input into budget grain and protein costs
- Liaise with MLAF Nutrition on ingredient pricing, specifications, and optimization
- Provide analytical supply/demand support as required
- Take on special projects and other duties as required
What You’ll Bring:
- Business Administration or Agriculture Degree, or other related educational background with several years of industry experience
- Working knowledge of commodity derivative markets
- Strong written skills with the ability to write effective reports and recommendations.
- Thorough understanding of market fundamentals and strong technical analysis skills
- Solid ability to utilize the Microsoft Office suite, including exceptional Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.