The incumbent supervises hourly employees on the night shift and is responsible for ensuring proper sanitation practices are followed while monitoring plant cleanliness through procedural observation and pre-operational inspections. The incumbent’s main accountability is to supervise hourly staff and to ensure sanitation programs and practices meet and/or exceed governmental requirements in order to protect the Company’s interests.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by February 19. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Plans manpower requirements for the department on a daily and weekly basis in order to achieve plant cleanliness.
- Directs employees in GMP’s, HACCP, pre-operational, and sanitation procedures.
- Prepares reports and maintains records for due diligence of sanitation procedures and continuous improvements.
- Submits work orders for the repair and maintenance of equipment with follow up.
- Maximizes attendance and follow-up to reduce absenteeism by coaching, conducts Accident Investigations, and takes disciplinary statements and administers discipline in line with the Plant’s Discipline Policy.
- Provides leadership by instilling team goals and objectives and fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from hourly employees.
- Ensures employees are trained and qualified in WHMIS and other programs prior to handling and using chemicals and/or prior to the operation of equipment.
- Approves and submits electronic payroll for employees in the department with due regard to the application of the collective bargaining agreement and Company policies.
- Undertakes to protect the health and safety of employees in accordance with established safe work procedures, Company policies, and applicable provincial legislation.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMPs, WHMIS, First Aid, Food Safety, Basic Food Microbiology, and Health & Safety Regulations.
What You’ll Bring:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a unionized meat or food processing environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Post-secondary education in Microbiology or Chemistry or equivalent by having completed a recognized food processing continuing education program.
- A strong communicator, both written and oral, who is confident, decisive, able to deal with conflict and yet achieve win-win results
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.