The Manager, Foodservice Category Development is an exciting opportunity to help the Foodservice function advance our credo to ‘build a growth culture, rooted in fundamentals and discipline, with superior customer partnerships’. Reporting to the SVP Foodservice & International Business Development, this role is a critical partner to the cross functional leads for Sales, Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain, and beyond. The primary focus is to help enable these teams to deliver on our total growth aspirations. This will require problem solving across a variety of unique category challenges with input from multiple cross-functional teams and key stakeholders.
The position requires a highly motivated individual to work with a fast-paced team with aspirations for continued growth and improvement. They will be expected to provide high quality, value-added analysis, insight, and leadership across various functions and levels within our team. They should have an ability to develop sound recommendations rooted in facts and data. This individual needs to be ambitious, humble, and highly collaborative as they will help lead numerous Foodservice Leadership Team rhythms. They should have a solid sales foundation as they will be looked to for critical thinking and problem solving associated with critical growth initiatives
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by February 05. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Ownership of key commercial Foodservice Leadership Team rhythms, including weekly and monthly planning and business review meetings.
- Play lead role in Sales (or Sales Operations) related initiatives and strategic project work, either time-sensitive or long-term. Including:
- Walker Road ramp up (spearheading prioritization of projects within new facility; managing onboarding / transitions for that facility; working cross functionally to ensure common understanding of the situation / plans / status and help identify actions to be successful).
- Fully Cooked bacon (Spencer) ramp up / capacity planning.
- Viau integration into Foodservice sales team.
- Partner with Sales and Marketing leaders to build and execute longer term strategies to maximize volume and profit where capacity and supply are constrained.
- Provide leadership in all aspects of reporting, planning, and analytics in the following areas:
- Summarizing weekly and monthly customer forecasting for the Foodservice business (with input from Sales) and communicating insights.
- Modeling and projecting operating plans (volume and margin).
- Supply Chain performance, including S&OP Demand Planning and Supply constraint resolution.
- Act as the single point of contact between Sales/Marketing and Supply Chain/Operations.
- Provide ongoing supply communications to Sales and to our customers.
- Work with Customer Fulfillment to provide sales team with weekly view to forward production plan (key strategic plants only).
- Lead ongoing product prioritization in areas of capacity and raw material constraint, with input from Marketing and Sales Directors.
- Assist in troubleshooting of operational issues as they surface, propose changes to systems and processes to continuously improve.
- Distressed sales (visibility sales program).
- Own and create value added businesses reporting tools and leverage your connectivity with the Leadership Team to identify ways to further improve. Some of the areas of opportunity are:
- Operating plan projections (volume and margin).
- Quarterly and YTD Sales performance for various compensation purposes.
- P&Ls for all strategic initiatives.
- RFQ oversight and drawing insights to identify ways to grow.
- Introducing tools and systems currently in use in other areas of Maple Leaf.
- Problem solving and action planning in collaboration with the Foodservice Leadership Team.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Business or Project Management.
- Project Management Professional Designation preferred.
- 8+ years’ experience in a related field.
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Competency in Microsoft applications.
- Confidence and professionalism to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams and peers.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, while meeting critical deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Able to respond to urgent tasks and follow up on rapid changes occurring in the process.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Continuous improvement mindset with strong analytical and decision-making capacity.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.