Warehouse Assistant Supervisor – London, Ontario
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
The Opportunity: Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do: Reporting to the Sr. Warehouse Supervisor, the Warehouse Supervisor leads the hourly team members within the finished goods warehouse to ensure workloads are completed accurately and in a timely manner to ensure on time departure of all shipments. You are responsible for driving efficiency, on time departures, employee safety and quality standards. You thrive in an environment that is fast paced and have a keen sense for continuous improvement. This position requires a high-level of communication and collaboration with other departments.
As the Warehouse Assistant Supervisor, you will:
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
What we have to offer you:
- Support the coordination of finished goods activities within the London site including shipping, receiving, warehousing, order picking, cycle counts and shunting.
- Executing SAP EWM transactions relating to receiving, picking, shipping, order fill, and warehouse tasks as required.
- Working with the Order Processing team, assign and monitor work within the department following receiving and shipping schedules. Assure coordinated workflow and elimination of ordinary difficulties.
- Support Order Processing activities with the creation of pick sheets and picking labels for the warehouse.
- Support the completion of outbound shipments, generating outbound documentation and communication with carriers.
- Support cycle count processes for maintaining accurate inventory within the finished goods warehouse and the proper rotation of dates based on customer allocation requirements.
- Adhere to and assist in the enforcement of safe work practices following all safety regulations and guidelines. Report accidents to OHS Manager and assist with accident investigations.
- Adhere to and assist in the enforcement of Good Manufacturing Practices following all sanitation and process procedures and guidelines.
- Provide support to the Supervisor team with leading an hourly workforce in a fair and equitable manner in accordance with company policies, resolving employee issues through counselling sessions, investigations or grievance meetings as needed.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as FSQA, Materials, Human Resources, and Production
- Support the training of warehouse employees with processes, health & safety, and food safety policies
- Administration duties such as payroll, scheduling, and shift reports.
- Other project work as assigned by management.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position. Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible
- 1-2 years of experience in a Shipping/Warehouse environment for manufacturing, preferably in a food processing facility.
- Post-secondary education
- Able to work various shifts and extend working hours when required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a high degree of initiative and flexibility
- Comfortable with using Microsoft Office tools