The Associate Product Developer - Thermal Process position will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation, validation, and execution of new and improved products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal, and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. The Associate Product Developer - Thermal Process must also enjoy the hands-on comprehensive nature of the job that requires involvement in detailed data analysis, rigorous report writing and significant onsite manufacturing operations activities. A passion for food safety with an ability to use Science and Technology in problem solving is essential. This role has a focus on Thermal Processing throughout the MLF network and, at times, extensive travel is required to meet the needs of this position.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by November 13. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Conducts hands-on thermal validation and heat penetration testing of products and batch/continuous thermal processing equipment onsite in various manufacturing facilities. Supports FSQA, Operations, and RDT as required
- Executes temperature distribution studies on existing, new and modified equipment
- Extensive use of data collection/analysis software such as CalSoft, NumeriCal, MadgeTech, HOBOWare, Thermodata Viewer, etc.
- Prepares and presents technical reports/results, both written and oral, to associates, peers and management
- Review thermal deviations and provide fact-based disposition, as required
- Participates in cross functional teams responsible for projects
- Understands and stays up to date on all applicable thermal processing food safety requirements (Internal, CFIA, FDA, USDA, etc.)
- Reviews changes to formulation and/or process to determine if thermal validation is required
- Product Life Cycle management (SOP creation/modification, formulation/BOM work, etc.) required
- Independently develops project work plans in order to execute projects efficiently
- Consults technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, etc.) to further knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects
- Successfully completes any training deemed necessary to build/maintain the requirements of the position
- Assists with identification and development of ideas for technology improvements/cost savings
- Maintains current knowledge by reading and disseminating relevant information from academic and trade literature
- Interfaces with and leverages the supplier and academic community to achieve project goals
- Maintains project files to ensure collection and transfer of learning and knowledge as well as eligibility for Income Tax Credits
- Other duties as required to support thermal validations and product development
What You’ll Bring:
- Post-secondary education in Food Science or a related Science discipline
- Experience in Food Manufacturing, Product Development or Quality Assurance an asset
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule requires various start times due to manufacturing and production schedule availability
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced environment and deliver commitments in a timely and accurate manner
- Ownership of a vehicle and willingness to travel. Extensive out of province travel will be required at times to support thermal processes in the MLF Network.
- Use of pilot plant equipment and thermal data collection equipment
- Exposure to manufacturing environments for periodic extended workdays that can include loud noise, heat, cold, wet and slippery conditions
- The ability to move safely and freely around machinery in manufacturing environments
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.