The Industrial Engineering & Network Optimization team works alongside factory leadership and the corporate head office, located in Mississauga Ontario, to set labour standards and performance targets, and to identify opportunities to maximize efficiencies across the manufacturing network.
We are seeking an experienced leader to guide Maple Leaf Foods’ overall Industrial Engineering & Network Optimization program. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting Maple Leaf Food’s overall supply chain and manufacturing facilities and will be a strategic partner to operations and corporate leadership. The Industrial Engineering & Network Optimization Director is responsible for the labour Bill of Materials for the costing of products with a mandate to drive variance reduction and cost savings, as well as accountability for identifying, facilitating, coordinating and executing on network optimization activities in close collaboration with cross-functional partners. The Director is also responsible for supporting Master Capacity Planning and will support medium / long-term strategic initiatives across Maple Leaf Foods manufacturing. Success will be measured in delivering labour standards and network optimization savings, as well as contributing to sustainability targets.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Strategic direction setting including detailed annual plans and 5-year strategic roadmap for Industrial Engineering across the enterprise
- Mentor, manage, and grow the Industrial Engineering team
- Ownership of labour standards and cost improvement:
- Accountable for the establishment, measurement, tracking, and updating of the company’s labour Bill of Materials to ensure the accurate costing of labour under a Standard-Cost Accounting system
- Drive improvements through IE tools such as time studies, method analysis, and line balancing to improve labour and asset utilization while minimizing waste through the entire value stream
- Network Optimization:
- Formalize and socialize network optimization process and governance, including defining process maps to identify, prioritize, facilitate, execute, and monetize network optimization opportunities (SKUs, lines, packaging, factories, etc.)
- Support manufacturing strategic initiatives and provide objective and analytical guidance to contribute towards critical decision making
- Perform research and benchmarking to gather marketing intelligence and ensure competitiveness
- Master Capacity Planning:
- Collaborate closely with Supply Chain Planning to support capacity planning of the manufacturing network to drive network optimization, supply chain planning, commercial planning, and capital investment strategies
- Product Development & Product Innovation:
- Provide manufacturing insight (cost, capacity, capability) on all innovation activities in support of sustainable and profitable growth
- Technology & Modernization
- Futureproof the function with advanced technologies such as Remote Time Studies, Factory Simulations (Digital Twins), Automated Capacity Models
- Other duties as required
What You’ll Bring:
- Industrial Engineering (or equivalent) degree at a recognized post-secondary institution
- 10+ years of manufacturing experience, CPG or Food & Beverage preferred.
- 5+ years of experience leading technical and/or analytical teams
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing production systems, lean and six sigma methodologies
- Practical experience with Industrial Engineering tools such as labour standards, methods analysis, time studies, and line balancing
- Knowledge of Sales & Operational Planning (S&OP), capacity management, Economical Order Quantity strategies
- Highly process driven with a keen interest in formalizing ad-hoc activities into well-defined process and governance
- Influential leadership in a fast-paced, volatile, competitive, and ambiguous environment
- Organized and capable of working independently while managing multiple priorities
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and data management
- Technical curiosity and a questioning attitude
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Continuous Improvement mindset
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.