Reporting to the VP Manufacturing Prepared Meats, the Plant Manager is responsible for the overall results of the factory while strictly adhering to Food Safety and Quality requirements. They will ensure the plant operates within Good Manufacturing Practices, providing exceptional customer satisfaction as a lowest cost producer, in an environment that is compliant with Health and Safety and Human Resources standards. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to inspire a team to deliver top results.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Foster and maintain a positive labour relations environment by ensuring all employees are treated with respect, grievances are dealt with in a timely manner, and employees are communicated with in an open manner
- Motivate employees to embrace Maple Leaf Food’s Leadership Edge Values
- Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operations and execute cost improvement strategies
- Champion continuous improvement for the manufacturing processes in supporting Six Sigma methodologies, leading projects to optimize production operations and minimize product waste
- Communicate strategies and support for an accident-free facility
- Support the implementation for newly created or changes made to existing Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices and HACCP to ensure consistent product quality and a progressive food safety program
- Develop and coach a cohesive, competent management team and planning for capable management succession by effectively acquiring, developing, and motivation of team members
- Prepare and implement capital improvement plans, including making recommendations, preparing and executing the Capital Plant Budget
- Prepare yearly operating budgets, standard cost of goods for raw materials, direct labour and plant overheads
What You’ll Bring:
We’re looking for people who are passionate about coaching and inspiring others and have experience leading teams to deliver top results. Being able to develop, foster, and influence relationships within a diverse workforce is key to success in this role. You’re invested in the development of each of your team members and willing to jump in to support as needed. You are passionate about safety and promote a culture where safety comes first. Your approach is collaborative and empowering, leading by example and offering a forum where everyone feels comfortable to bring forward new ideas. Having a continuous improvement mindset, strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to multi-task in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment will allow you to make an impact. We’re committed to disciplined decision making and data plays a big part in this role, which requires comfort with using various tools (SAP, variance reports, downtime analysis, SWOT analysis, Six Sigma etc.).
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.