The Lab Technician role at the Heritage facility will be responsible for the ensuring the accurate analysis of samples received by the laboratory. This includes sample preparation and conducting the required analytical tests that support the laboratory programs through good laboratory practices.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Perform start up/ shut down procedures for the Laboratory in support of the accreditation requirements. This may include equipment start-up/shut down, laboratory disinfection / cleaning, incubator/ refrigerator checks, balance checks, pH etc.
- Perform sample receipt functions as per laboratory protocols. This may include assigning identification/reports identifier numbers and aseptic sampling.
- Calibrate and maintain testing equipment and record calibration / maintenance activities and results as per laboratory technical procedures and/or work instructions.
- Prepare solutions, reagents and /or growth mediums as outlined per Laboratory Technical Procedure and /or work instructions. Position may require handling of hazardous chemical/materials.
- Prepare and conduct microbiological/chemical analyses as directed by the laboratory supervisors and/or delegate.
- Enter test results/ data into the laboratory database. Enter data onto laboratory forms. Verify the accuracy of data entered.
- Assist in the training of newly hired laboratory staff.
- Follow all occupational health and safety and good laboratory practices of the laboratory.
- Provide aid to customers as requested. Such aid is provided within the guidelines established by the FSQA Team Leader.
- Participate in proficiency programs, projects and internal or external audits when required.
- Sensory analysis which may include taste evaluations of pork, poultry and beef containing products. Microbiological tests may include pathogen testing for, and handling of Listeria monocytogenes, E.coli O157:H7 and Salmonella sp.
- Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
What You’ll Bring:
- Degree or diploma in Microbiology or Chemistry (both preferred) or Biotechnology, Food Science with emphasis on food/environmental biology.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in a microbiology laboratory or food industry.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills, high attention to detail and a willingness to learn and teach others, be self directed and motivated.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Environment - Plant environment (ambient and refrigerated); 24-7, 2 shift operation
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.