Position key responsibilities are to work directly with catching & transport and utilize data collected through this work to continuously drive improvements; including transport animal welfare outcomes to the processing facilities. This technical position is a key player in developing and sustaining effective business relations between Maple Leaf Foods, third party poultry producers, catchers, and transportation such that credibility is established and maintained.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Perform routine audits of poultry flock condition prior to loading
- Routine coaching and training of producers, catchers, and live transport crews of best practices (requires overnight working hours)
- Coach growers and catchers to improve animal welfare and handling practices through analysis and data interpretation.
- Animal welfare auditing of producer facilities to ensure practices are followed
- Execute Q.A. programs and biosecurity protocols
- Develop and deliver training and coaching to catchers and transport team that drive continued improvements
- Data compilation and analysis
- Environmental monitoring procedures in poultry barns
- Training and/or on-site verification of for Maple Leaf employees
- Interpretation and delivery of data analysis to Maple Leaf Foods and growers for continued monitoring and training support for continuous improvements
- Creation and/or revision of Standard Operating Procedures
- Provide effective and timely responses and reports to Grower, Catcher and Transportation concerns/issues
- Other tasks as required
What You’ll Bring:
- One to two years’ experience in agricultural or food industry
- Post-Secondary education is an asset and could include Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Microbiology, Quality Assurance, or Food Science program
- Knowledge of National Farm Animal Care Council Codes of Practice and poultry welfare standards (preferred but not Required)
- Ability to analyze results and create recommendations and opportunities for continuous improvement
- Computer Skills: skilled user of Microsoft office applications and Excel graphing applications
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Continuous improvement background and performance
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Time Management &self regulation
- Good interpersonal skills
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.