The position of Associate Product Developer (Culinary/Pilot Plant) will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved/modified products. This person will be engaged in recipe development for all the various brands at Maple Leaf Foods. You will also be responsible for creative menu design and execution in the production of event-centered catering. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, team oriented, personally accountable, enjoy a fast-paced environment and be acutely focused on the pursuit of the end goal, capable of taking a creative approach to the resolution of a broad array of challenges. They must also enjoy the hands-on nature of the job that will require involvement in both our culinary test kitchen and pilot plant activities. A passion for all things culinary, food science and technology together with the ability to translate theory to practice are critical.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Recipe development utilizing Maple Leaf Foods’ products
- Produce meals for meetings and events with attendee numbers ranging from 10 – 200 people
- Conduct required bench top/pilot plant tests and activities throughout the product development cycle of new/existing formulations and processes
- Gather data and interpret test results including physical measurements, microbiological and chemical analyses of products
- Continuously maintain detailed documentation and provide summary reports as necessary
- Understand competitive products by retail audit and product analysis/evaluation
- Build the Product Lifecycle Management skills necessary to complete label and regulatory approvals as well as create and maintain formulation and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Participate in the presentation of new and modified products to various cross-functional teams and recommend next steps based on feedback received
- Participate in the sensory evaluation of developed products
- Take part in cross-functional teams responsible for commercial and technical projects
- Maintains project files to ensure collection and transfer of learning and knowledge
- Prepares documentation necessary to obtain Regulatory Approvals, Income Tax Credits, etc.
- Interface and leverage supplier, industry and academic communities to achieve project objectives and grow technical expertise
What You’ll Bring:
- Diploma/Degree in Food Science, Technology or related field
- Functional cooking experience and/or related culinary education/foundation
- Open to working with, and tasting, all categories of foods
- Prior exposure to Product Development, Operations or Quality Control an asset
- Proactive prioritization and the ability to effectively work ahead
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – project needs may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
- Flexibility to travel to different manufacturing sites, etc.
- Valid driver’s license and a car available
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.