A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Microbiologist is responsible for generating reports, coordinating training, technical analysis, developing lab and proficiency testing schedules, while participating in both project work and auditing. This includes following occupational health and safety standards and supporting the laboratory programs through good laboratory practices. To be successful in this role one must be organized, able to multi-task, have a high attention to detail, and are able to work professionally in a fast paced and dynamic environment under minimal supervision.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Report Generation: Review, approve, issue, and distribute laboratory reports, including email notifications to the appropriate distribution lists and/or customers.
- Training and Proficiency testing: Gathering and analyzing information to design, develop, and deliver new training programs that are efficient, and effective. Performing training needs analysis by assessing the skill level, performance, and competence of each trainee. Conduct validation activities such as parallel testing, quizzes and ensuring competency through demonstration. Actively participate in the scheduling, performance, and technical proficiency reviews of the laboratory technical staff.
- High Level Analysis: Maintains an in-depth understanding in analytical methodologies, techniques, procedures and analyzes/interprets technical data that is generated by the laboratory.
- Adapt and/or improve existing laboratory techniques and methods; may write, update, and review analytical procedure protocols (SOP’s), validations, verifications, measurement of uncertainty reports, project reports.
- Scheduling: Organizing the daily workflow of the lab through the prioritization of analysis, project work and proficiency testing and adjusting the schedule for any staffing issues.
- Auditor: Conduct and/or participate in internal and external audits. Identify non-conformances, perform and/or assign investigations using root cause analysis ensuring the implementation of audit recommendations and staff compliance.
- Projects: Design and implement viable experiments for investigative projects. This includes the development of the experimental design, conducting the investigation, and forming conclusions. Creating a summary report which includes raw data, project hours and supply usage.
- Perform technical staff duties during high volume work periods and/or during staff shortages.
- Responsible for the delegation of the laboratory daily workload and assign daily priorities to ensure testing turnaround time (TAT) meets the needs of the company.
- Assist in the training of newly hired laboratory staff.
- Environmental Monitoring Program: Responsible for conducting the environmental monitoring plan for pathogen testing and air quality checks for the laboratory including test result collation, record keeping and associated corrective action plans.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Minimum: B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in relevant sciences; Microbiology (preferred) or Biology/Food Science with emphasis on food/environmental biology
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in a microbiology laboratory or food industry.
- Strong multi-tasking capability and comfortable with routine work
- Competent computer skills
- Candidate must be business, results, and values oriented, work as part of a functional team
- Abide by the company’s Code of Business Conduct, be able to display impartiality and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership values
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.