FSQA Process Leader
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The QA Process Leader role at the Heritage facility will be responsible for ensuring compliance to food safety and quality systems within their assigned area (e.g. Formulation/Stuffing, Slicing/Packaging, Palletizing).
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Perform or assist in daily quality and food safety related decision making based on established processes to ensure products meet the quality standards and food safety requirements of Maple Leaf Foods and its' customers.
- Review and Verify acceptability of line inspections performed by operators (product weight, gas, critical to quality, critical quality parameters, etc).
- Conduct EMP/TPC swabs and pre-op inspections.
- Product HOLDs on floor, product sample collections (shelf life, daily product cuttings) and quarantine management requirements as required.
- Perform daily monitoring and verification tasks as outlined in the HACCP program and issue corrective actions for deviations. Prerequisite program requirements (area audits)
- Prepare sensory samples and participates in sensory evaluations.
- Verify and audit sanitation practices and chemical concentrations as outlined in SSOP’s.
- Perform microbiological and analytical sampling for product and environment.
- Participate in projects and meeting with the goal of improving food safety ad food quality.
- Assist in the implementation of changes that advance QA systems.
- Provide support and coaching to employees and production management to maintain and improve their QA practices and procedures.
- Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
- Ability to enter data and complete trace exercises within SAP.
- Identification, entry and closure of non-conformance within your area
- Guide and support all employees in the Maple Leaf Values
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Bachelor of Science or Diploma in Food Safety/Science program or equivalent experience.
- HACCP I-II certified is an asset.
- Strong understanding of Sanitation, SOPs, Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMP’s.
- Previous experience with maintaining/validation of FSEP program.
- 2-3 years QA experience in the Food industry preferred.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Knowledge of SAP is an asset
- Excellent organization and planning skills, high attention to detail and a willingness to learn and teach others, be self-directed and motivated.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Environment - Plant environment (ambient and refrigerated); 24-7, 2 shift operation
- Volume & Complexity of Work - A fast paced work environment with multiple, tight and changing priorities
- Travel Requirements – Minimal
- Physical Requirements – Low
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.