Vice President, Reliability & Industrial Engineering
*In the spirit of living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, please note that a strong internal candidate has been identified through our talent management processes, but all applications will be considered*
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security. .
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
In the spirit of living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, please note that a strong internal candidate has been identified through our talent management processes, but all applications will be considered
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Operations, Supply Chain & Purchasing the Vice President, Reliability & Industrial Engineering’s overall mandate is to deliver on the business priorities of the MLF Network by moving Asset Reliability from low Maturity to World class through strategic development.
This is a high-impact role and an excellent test for a high-potential candidate with interests in running a business and developing broad General Management skills. The role provides insights and guidance to Operations relative to process capacity and capabilities required to manufacture products in the most productive and cost-effective method. The scope of the role is very broad and deep requiring close collaboration both cross-functionally within Maple Leaf and externally.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Establish a long-term strategic roadmap for Asset Reliability to achieve world class performance and an annual plan to execute the strategy.
• Develop, implement, and advance the corporate asset management, reliability, and maintenance program for the Maple leaf Foods operations network.
• Advance the maturity of the OES PM pillar across the Maple Leaf Network through annual assessments and actions plans to drive results.
• Develop and implement a robust preventative and predictive maintenance program including Strategic Asset Lifecycle Management, Equipment Health Monitoring, Reliability Centered Maintenance, and MRO Optimization.
• Establish systems to monitor and improve equipment reliability & lifecycle, labour utilization, and maintenance cost.
• Benchmark Asset Reliability trends, methods, and KPI’s against global trends and industry leaders.
• Establish an Asset Reliability focused People strategy including Technical training, knowledge sharing, recruitment, retention and development; advance MLF’s D&I objectives with a particular focus on gender equality in non-traditional roles.
• Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to support achieving organizational objectives.
• Capacity and capabilities scenario analysis in support of Network optimization and Supply Chain management.
• Global benchmarking of Manufacturing methods and processes in support of Manufacturing Optimization.
• Co-manufacturers process capabilities assessments.
• Repatriation opportunity analysis.
• Manufacturing assessments in support of new Commercial opportunities.
• Capacity creation and cost reduction through manufacturing methods optimization.
• Methods and Labour cost analysis in support of Capital projects and annual business plans.
• Represent MLF in matters of Asset Reliability to PEMAC, SAP, SMRP, PEO
• Maintain excellent relationships with industry suppliers and co-manufacturers for passive industry benchmarking and data base building.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 15+ years of professional experience in relevant industry post-degree University technical degree accompanied by a Business background. Strong technical and process knowledge, critical thinking and business acumen skills, along with proven ability to lead and inspire a team in a complex hands-on operating environment. In addition, the candidate will have a demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate across MLF functions (and levels) to solve complex problems, gain alignment and execute with speed to deliver on priorities. They have a unique combination of humility, courage and interpersonal savvy to lead effectively in industry.
• Courage: Ability to have difficult conversations and unafraid to challenge the status quo to arrive at the best outcome for MLF.
• Be a Model for Diversity and Inclusion in action within span of organization.
• Change agent: Able to build successful process from zero, being a bold change agent and encouraging prudent organizational stretch.
• Followership: Demonstrates strong leadership presence, well-respected by staff, peers, SLT and industry associates.
• Decisiveness: Can make firm decisions/ recommendations using sound rationale and best information available.
• Resilience: Adaptable and embraces new challenges, able to navigate ambiguity and be flexible to changing team / market dynamics
• Collaboration: Can work effectively in a matrix reporting structure (can influence getting things done using cross-functional teams
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.