Director - Hatchery & Breeder Operations
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As Director Hatcheries and Breeder Operations for MLF, the incumbent will lead the Operations team in determining and executing the strategic direction for the Operations Hatcheries, Breeder Farms and Technical Team nationally. The role provides leadership and guidance in planning, directing, and coordinating operations on a daily basis with site leadership at all facilities and is responsible for the profitability, productivity and effectiveness of the Operations Team. The role works closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the appropriate objectives and priorities are identified, enabled and supported through to achievement.
The Operations Team achieves and/or exceeds earning results while providing the quality of product meeting the customer expectations and needs. The Operations Team continuously evaluates results, policies, programs, procedures and resource effectiveness to ensure achievement of long term organizational strategies and the product quality continues to meet customer expectation at the lowest possible cost.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Develop and implement Operations Team strategies to build growth and profitability.
- Coordinates Operations Team activities for the achievement of results for the strategies.
- Ownership of the National Operations budgetary and forecasting processes with commitment to deliver results.
- Clear knowledge of regulatory requirements to ensure compliance (i.e. Health & Safety, CFIA - HACCP, Marketing Board, Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Labour, etc.)
- Monitor and maintain a high level of accuracy and consistency in the operations processes.
- Accountable for earnings to the EBIT level for Agricultural Operations.
- Coordination of planning activities with other stakeholders – internally & externally including sales, producers, optimization, processing plants, marketing, etc.
- Industry involvement in both provinces
- Accurate and timely reporting on an annual, quarterly and period basis of operations effectiveness.
- Development of appropriate structure to achieve organizational and operations objectives. Utilizing operations knowledge and technical expertise coaches multi-site team members to manage performance necessary to achieve objectives in a cost effective manner.
- Formulates operational policies, procedures and programs related to animal welfare and quality initiatives to mitigate risk and address customer needs while improving results.
- Researches competitors and suppliers to define best practices for hatcheries and breeder farms.
- Define capital investment strategies and develop a long term capital investment plan.
- Negotiate and liaise with 3rd party suppliers for raw material and equipment suppliers addressing best practices for animal welfare and quality while maintaining position of low cost supplier.
- Analyze reporting and results to identify continuous improvement business opportunities. Present, discuss and propose new initiatives to address opportunities.
- Keep Senior Management informed of progress, issues, risks and successes on a pro-active basis.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills identifying top talent and facilitating communications between all employees.
- Promote and nurture a culture designed to promote employee involvement, safety oriented, continuous improvement and least cost. Be the best place to work.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to support the development and implementation of new products meeting all producer/marketing board, hatchery and CFIA -HACCP requirements.
- Member of the RWA Steering Committee and works closely with the peer group to ensure ongoing support and development of the RWA Program.
- Serves as the MLF representative at major industry organizations and events, conferences and trade shows.
- Travel to support Alberta Operations Team.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Brings a diverse perspective that complements the skills, strengths and opportunities of the team
- Post-secondary education in one of the following disciplines: food science, business, engineering, or operations management
- 5-7 years’ experience in a management role
- Working knowledge of the Poultry industry preferred
- Industry experience at the provincial and national level an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Professional, objective, action oriented, team player and leader
- Ability to manage multiple locations and priorities
- Self-driven with excellent problem solving ability
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Advanced computer skills required
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.