A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Doing what’s right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Microbial Technologist will be responsible for supporting laboratory operations by conducting the relevant biological testing. You will ensure tests are conducted in accordance with standard procedures and regulations. To be successful in this role you must be team oriented, dependable and have a positive attitude.
The lab runs 365 days/year. We are looking for candidates that are available to work evenings (until 7:00pm) and weekends.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Perform testing on samples received into the lab as directed by the lab supervisor or delegate and accurately report results into appropriate test forms or databases. This may include the handling of pathogenic organisms and hazardous chemicals/materials. Participation in proficiency testing and internal or external audits is required.
- Design and implement viable experiments for investigative projects. This includes the development of the experimental design, conducting the investigation, and forming conclusions. Creating a summary report which includes raw data, project hours and supply usage.
- Develop/modify procedures and test methods and perform verification/validation of methods as needed.
- Perform startup/ shut down procedures for the Laboratory. This may include equipment start-up/shut down, laboratory disinfection / cleaning, incubator/ refrigerator checks, balance checks, pH etc.
- Calibrate and maintain testing equipment and record calibration / maintenance activities and results as per laboratory technical procedures and/or work instructions.
- Enter test results/ data into the laboratory database. Enter data onto laboratory forms. Verify the accuracy of data entered.
- Assist in the training of newly hired laboratory staff.
- Perform preliminary sample preparation to label, scale and grind samples for analysis. Conduct pre-analytical testing on packaging and samples.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- Minimum: B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in relevant sciences; Microbiology (preferred) or Biology/Food Science with emphasis on food/environmental biology.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in a laboratory or food industry.
- Strong multi-tasking capability and comfortable with routine work.
- Competent computer skills.
- Must be business, results and values oriented and work as part of a functional team
- Abide by the company’s Code of Business Conduct, be able to display impartiality and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership values.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.