Sr. Finance Analyst
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a member of the Finance team, the Senior Finance Analyst (SFA) will perform detailed analysis of various financial and manufacturing activities, take part in overhead management, prepare weekly and period end reports, and play a key role in providing the right information to plant management to support decision making. As an SFA, you will interact frequently with people in various levels of plant and the organization. The SFA needs to have strong communication and technical skills to accurately reflect the results, ensure internal controls are in place and monitored, and provide expertise and support.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Prepare and submit weekly forecasting and monthly financial statements for assigned facility operations
- Investigate variances, determine root causes, and provide insightful explanations to management
- Provide overhead management support to Budget Manager and Finance Manager
- Support Finance Manager in leading internal controls and internal audit procedures
- Provide support to Six Sigma projects as needed including calculation of project savings
- Support the annual budget, month end and weekly forecasting processes
- Assist budget managers in managing their budgets
- Design, test, implement and maintain procedures
- Prepare and post journal entries and prepare balance sheet reconciliations
- Prepare various reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Respond to ad hoc report requests from finance and operations
- Collaborate with Finance Manager on special projects as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 3 - 5 years of Manufacturing Accounting Experience
- Business Degree or Diploma
- Intermediate to advanced PC proficiency (Intermediate-Advanced MS Excel is a must)
- Experience with SAP is an asset
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Self motivated with ability to work autonomously
- Knowledge and ability to live Maple Leaf Leadership Edge values.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with a positive attitude and in a professional manner
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, changing environment
- Possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.