A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the MRO supervisor the MRO buyer maintains the proper inventory of spare parts by timely purchasing, tracking order status and preparing reports. They consider these business parameters, the tools available and how best to support The Maintenance department.
The MRO buyer is detail oriented, has strong analytical and interpersonal skills. The buyer manages the procurement activities for the company to maintain its operations. The buyer has experience with ERP programs. SRM, SAP Material Master and Ariba experience an asset. The buyer is familiar with warehouse management, maintaining excel files and applying Standard Operating Procedures in his/her work. The buyer follows company policies, standards and guidelines as they apply to all activities. The Buyer is a key contributor to the continuous improvements of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of maintenance, productions, and finance.
The Buyer has good leadership and communication skills, works well in a team environment and is responsible. The person is structured, results oriented and quality driven
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Responsible for the preparation and issuance of purchase orders through SRM for stock and non stock materials used to maintain plant equipment.
- Preparation and issuance of purchase orders for services.
- Implements and manages purchasing procedures and processes to ensure the plant receives the right materials in the right quantity at the right time
- Responsible for daily replenishment of spare parts through SRM.
- Manages MRP list on a daily basis
- Responsible for cost effective solutions/analyses
- Receive price quotes from vendors, compare quotes against requirements.
- Ensure accurate stock levels based on usage and criticality.
- Strategic sourcing - maintains Info Records and Source Lists as required by site record retention protocol.
- Communicate with vendors on pricing, lead time and product.
- Set Min/Max levels based on usage rate, usage patterns, delivery times, targeted service levels, equipment criticality and required safety stock levels
- Work with Planner to ensure all required parts are available prior to the work being scheduled
- Coordinate with warehouse staff to resolve shortfalls in Inventory Levels.
- Apply the Materials Management process in support planned maintenance operations.
- Regularly review Materials/Inventory Management guidelines with key stakeholders.
- Continuously improve the Materials/Inventory Management performance based on Maintenance and Operational results and data.
- Maintain vendor information attached to the material part numbers (I.e. Lead time, vendor part #, etc...).
- Process parts/materials request to meet time requirement.
- Track materials warranties in SAP for major/high value parts.
- Resolve all open accounts payable issues as they occur
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 7+ year of experience in manufacturing, plant, or heavy industry experience as a Buyer or a related role such as supply change management, procurement, buying, and purchasing is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration is preferred; considerations will be given to individuals with 2 year diploma in supply chain and procurement with proven experience.
- Proficiency in SAP and Microsoft Office suite considered a strong asset.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.