Learning & Development, Sr. Specialist
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Learning & Development Manager, the Learning & Development Senior Specialist will partner with operations leadership and lead learning & development across operations functions, including; manufacturing, food safety and quality, health and safety, six sigma, sustainability and animal wellness & operations excellence system (OES). The scope of the role includes partnering with plant leaders to assess the training needs for hourly learning, developing learning objectives for hourly learning, executing planned initiatives, managing ad hoc learning requests, designing and facilitating learning sessions, developing content and managing learning vendors.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Completes thorough training needs analysis to identify knowledge and skill gaps. Develop solutions to knowledge/skill gaps that consider learner persona, objectives, business constraints, and available resources.
- Design and create compelling and engaging content and materials, employing recognized adult learning principles within designed solutions, adapting content and materials to the learner's needs. Work with functional subject-matter experts to ensure the content reflects business requirements and addresses existing skill gaps.
- Implements standard work practices at new plant and new line start-ups (including; London Poultry, Bacon Expansion, Indiana and Paquin) by understanding the plant needs and works with plant leaders to develop the plant’s operator training processes. Trains SMEs on completing needs assessments, work instructions and training material. Ensures plant leadership has a high level of visibility to training progress and challenges throughout the start-up.
- Build organizational proficiency and increase the use of our electronic LMS (Alchemy) by ensuring operations leaders know what LMS tools are available, how to access training on the tools, and provide access to tools.
- Identify issues and recommend program improvements to ensure learning material and programs are delivered efficiently, and participants experience a high-quality learning program that delivers business outcomes.
- Manages the Operational Leadership Academy by facilitating, scheduling facilitators & participants, distributing materials, tracking work completion and continuously improving the program by updating materials.
- Lead complex projects through the entire project life cycle, including; course/program development and implementation of new learning technologies (ex. Playbook)
- Act as SPOC between Maple Leaf and our LMS provider to ensure plant customers receive the support required and assist in troubleshooting any issues not resolved by the provider.
- Build partner relationships with operations and key stakeholders.
- Oversee and continuously improve the Operations Learning SharePoint site to ensure ease of use by the Operations Learning team and plant customers.
- Flexible to work in various locations as required, including travel to plants outside of the GTA.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 3-5 years of experience in plant operations, learning and development, or training
- College or University degree preferred with education in adult learning, organizational behaviour, or human resources
- CTDP (Certified Training Development Professional) designation preferred
- Proficient in the MS Office suite of tools, i.e.) PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience in or knowledge of one or more of the operations functions
- Experience in adult learning theory, program management, course design and content development preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with key cross-functional business stakeholders across all levels.
- Communication and training skills, including writing, listening, speaking, and delivering engaging presentations and learning
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and the proven ability to deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic business environment
- Ability to work independently and partner with operations leaders
- Demonstrated ability to work within various technology and information systems
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.