A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The incumbent will be responsible for the total operation of the plant in accordance with TSSA Act 2000 and Operating Engineers Regulation (O.Reg#219/01).
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Ensure total safety, care and control of the ammonia refrigerated system
- Participates in the development, planning and execution of preventative maintenance program for areas under the powerhouse responsibility
- Ensure daily plant inspection of key equipment such as the ammonia-refrigeration, steam boiler systems, thermal fluid boiler systems and that all systems are operating in a safe and expected manner
- Ensure the accurate recording of data and all relevant information to the operation of the plant under the Chief Engineer’s jurisdiction
- Assess the performance of the operating engineers and takes appropriate actions in line with Company policy and TSSA Act 2000
- Actions to reduce energy utility consumption such as natural gas, electricity, water and ammonia usage
- Provides leadership by instilling safety objectives and measurements;
- Conducts detailed diagnostic audits, using Six Sigma processes and techniques and provides coaching and direction to the plant’s management team
- Promotes continuous improvements as a team leader, committed to excellence
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities as position requires, including the duties of the operating engineer if ever required
- Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
- Contributes as a key member of the Management Team in strategic decisions including continuous improvement and Six Sigma initiatives
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Possess and maintains a valid and current certificate at all times as a 2nd Class Stationary Engineer and/or Refrigeration “A” Operator
- Strong motivational leadership skills
- Experience with Process Improvement Methodologies (Six Sigma, RCA, RCM etc.)
- Experience with developing and executing Preventative Maintenance Plans
- Operates in a professional manner with Customers, External Regulatory Agencies and Colleagues
- Excellent planning, analytical and organizational skills
- Experience with CMMS & Process Software such as SAP and Factory Talk
- Strong communication and leadership skills with the ability to develop a positive safety culture within the team
- Innovative and creative thinker to resolve problems, offer multiple solutions to problems and create opportunities
- Experience in Food Processing or Manufacturing environment would be considered an asset
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.