A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the FSQA Manager, the FSQA Coordinator monitors and analyzes and interprets data related to Food Safety, GMP, HACCP and other Quality Assurance Program requirements to ensure they are consistently achieved. While operating in a fast-paced food manufacturing environment, one must be comfortable analyzing large amounts of data and making recommendations to FSQA leadership based on findings. The Coordinator is responsible for reviewing escalated proposed corrective actions and providing additional guidance and support. Key programs under the FSQA Coordinator role are: Hold and Release, Deviation Management, Customer Relations, Performance Monitoring, and Export. This role is on the day shift with hours from 6:00 AM – 2:30 PM.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Support the execution of the customer and consumer complaints programs including weekly reporting on performance, leading plant investigations, and drafting responses.
- Track, trend, and communicate the performance of the plant deviation status including closure rates and quality of responses entered into the SAP system.
- Consolidate weekly food safety and quality results and prepare summaries to present to Senior Management.
- Coordinate and ensure proper execution of documentation verification program including identification and closure of non-conformances.
- Participate in annual HACCP review and reassessment with cross functional team and update the program accordingly.
- Participate in prerequisite monitoring and reassessment inspections as per MLF specific requirement including validations.
- Participate in annual validations of critical processes including allergen validation and sanitation effectiveness.
- Designate site gatekeeper for the laboratory information management system (LIMS) including swab site updates, populating enumeration results, generating reports, and planning swabbing surveys for TPC, ATP, Listeria spp., and Lactics.
- Track and trend quality related deviations and complete process capability analysis of data in our Quality Management System (QMS).
- Coordinate FSQA document management (SOP's, training material, policies, etc).
- Support and/or deliver FSQA training.
- Designate for ordering FSQA office supplies and accessories.
- Assist with construction activities and planning of environmental monitoring.
- Support and/or coordinate equipment calibrations (MDs, thermometers, data tracers, etc.).
- Participate in meetings and projects as an FSQA representative as required.
- Provide back up support and coverage for FSQA Technicians as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- University degree or college diploma preferably in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science or a related discipline.
- 2 to 5 years of experience in a technical role at a food manufacturing facility.
- Strong understanding of Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMPs related to the food industry.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision
- High attention to detail
- The ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Willingness to learn and teach others, be self-directed and motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Intermediate to exceptional MS Office skills
- Ability to work with a variety of people and to be assertive as required
- Work as part of a functional team and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.