Asset Reliability Programs and MRO (Network) Manager
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting the Director of Asset Reliability (AR), this reposition is within the Asset Reliability Group (ARG). The ARG sets strategy and direction for reliability, asset management, and maintenance for the global Maple Leaf Foods manufacturing facilities (network of 25+ sites), and precisely executes on a roadmap to move the AR maturity toward world class.
This position is responsible for progressing, enhancing, and overall governance of the AR program (including MRO) and projects. It is also responsible for providing program/project/technical leadership to operationalize the AR strategy and roadmap across the Maple Leaf Foods global network. The AR projects will be aimed at site reliability support, transformation, MRO governance, and modernization for reducing downtime, increasing throughput, reducing health and food safety risks, reducing carbon footprint, and increasing the asset lifecycle.
This role has a high degree of visibility, where focus and attention on the “voice of the customer” is key for success. This role requires frequent interactions, presentation, negotiation, and direct engagement with Maintenance Managers, Plant Managers/Site Leads, the Operating Unit Vice Presidents, and senior management in cross-functional groups (e.g. information solutions, food safety, finance, engineering, sustainability and operations excellence) to advance the AR strategy.
The position requires strong and independent professional judgement, hands on plant level experience, strategic corporate expertise, large scale project management skills, win-win negotiation skills, superb analytics, and outstanding communication and presentation skills for precise management and execution of the strategy, within the existing policies and processes, across the MLF network.
Decision making and stakeholders (plants) management risk will have a significant impact on advancing the AR strategy toward achieving the AR Bold Goal as well as maximizing capacity and uptime, increasing customer fill rate, optimizing maintenance costs, maximizing asset lifecycle and reducing risk for environment, food safety and health and safety.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Deliver on the AR annual plan and projects in alignment with the strategy and roadmap
- Enhance/update the AR roadmap by performing annual reviews of objectives, targets, and results and industry benchmarking
- Develop, lead, manage, deploy, and change manage AR program (multiple projects) working with cross-functional teams
- Develop and rollout best practices, policies, procedures, and SOPs in alignment with best-in-class AR practices
- Manage and report on the execution of AR projects including developing and holding budget, timeline, performance, resources
- Own the MRO optimization program and coaching; develop and rollout best practices including tools/process improvement
- Coach and facilitate failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA), root cause failure elimination (RCFE), preventive maintenance optimization (PMO), spares criticality analysis
- Develop and deploy asset strategies by leading the Asset Strategy Committee, working with cross-functional stakeholders
- Provide reliability due diligence inputs for new builds, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Identify risks to network reliability performance and develop actions for mitigating risk to uptime, costs, and customer fill-rate
- Enhance and monitor AR systems and tools for identifying chronic problems and improvement opportunities
- Develop and deploy condition-based & predictive maintenance program, collaborating with cross-functional teams and OEMs
- Establish the requirements and process for asset lifecycle management, from design to decommissioning; work with cross-functional stakeholders for network implementation
- Establish and embed best in class Asset Management practices in alignment with ISO 5500/IAM guidelines
- Serves as a subject matter expert in identifying and balancing risks and costs to equipment reliability using health index metrics, preventive maintenance optimization, and KPIs.
- Enhance or develop AR process using CMMS functions, developing standards, SOPs, guides, and training
- Lead reliability analytics using data science principles; monitor and identify opportunities for reliability improvements
- Provide change management and training to all applicable personnel for plant reliability practices and maintenance techniques
- Other related maintenance and reliability activities, as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Engineering degree from an accredited school is a must; MBA is highly desirable
- Professional Engineering Association Membership (P.Eng.) preferred
- PMP or proven project management experience for large scale multi-site projects with complex change management is a must
- People leadership and talent development experience is required (salaried employees)
- Extensive technical support, leadership of business and operations, and program management experience (5+ years)
- Experience in client facing roles including technical consulting is required
- Knowledge of MRO management, optimization, and best practices is needed; must know procurement best practices
- Proven track record in the management of capital projects and successful management of consultants and contractors
- Knowledge of contract development, negotiation, and execution
- Experience with successfully implementing maintenance, asset reliability, and asset management initiatives
- Experience in managing strategic programs with network level impact
- Experience in manufacturing, industrial environment, capital intensive industries is a must
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) is a must – SAP is preferred
- Experience with technology, reporting, analytical platforms, and financial and economic modeling
- Advanced software skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
- Internally motivated, self-starter, high energy, customer oriented, outgoing, superb communication/interpersonal skills
- Continuous improvement mindset, systems thinker, critical thinker, challenging the status quo
- Highly results oriented, extremely organized, and capable of leading direct reports while managing multiple priorities
- Must be highly adaptable to constant change and comfortable in a very fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of GMPs, food safety development and health & safety requirements.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.