Health Unit EMT / Paramedic
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The incumbent will be responsible for the administration of first aid and subsequent treatment to injured or ill employees and the day to day operation of the health unit.
Monday to Friday, 7:00am – 3:30pm
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Manage and operate the first aid center, daily inspection, inventory control and cleanliness
- Attend to assessment and treatment of ill or injured employees / tend to emergency situations
- Track all first aid incidents as required by Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Receive and log as required all medical or health professional documentation concerning employees
- Liaise and communicate with all medical and health professionals providing care to employees if that care impacts employee’s capabilities
- Provide support to the modified work committee
- Report all work related injuries to WCB
- Review all accepted WCB claims for potential of appeal, file appeals and ultimately present submissions in support of the appeal
- Assess all potential new employees via pre-employment medicals and communicate findings if applicable to Human Resources
- Update first aid log on data base as required
- Log all expiration dates for medical leaves or modified work offers and communicate to the appropriate supervisors/managers/human resources and modified work committee members
- Complete all required documentation for storage of health center records (30 year retention required)
- Assess demographics of employees and health status of employees and provide no less than 6 health promotion strategies per year based on those demographics
- Assess plant for safety hazards
- Assess ergonomics of all plant areas and suggest possible changes to reduce the risk of injury to workers
- Other duties as required for HSSE department
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Paramedic / Registered Nurse
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with high level of accuracy
- Proficient in Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced changing manufacturing environment
- Ability to take the initiative and problem solve
- Work with minimal supervision and be active, collaborative team member
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.