A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The incumbent will act as the primary contact for the CFIA Inspectors and HACCP system audits, CVS tasks and reassessments.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Lead, coach and support HACCP and food safety teams to ensure maintenance of HACCP/Food Safety system audits.
- Support new product launches by ensuring new hazards are not introduced to the plant and the HACCP plan is updated in a timely manner
- Provide training to staff at the facility ensuring compliance to HACCP and Pre-req programs
- Ensure cross-functional engagement in HACCP Program & Meetings.
- Maintain the HACCP and pre-requisite programs by auditing, monitoring, scheduling, verifying and validating results.
- Maintain the pest control program and facility inspection program
- Continuous follow up with employees and supervisors on the production floor, providing regular updates on progress to the management team.
- Excellent document control and effective follow up on corrective actions.
- Initiate risk assessment of food safety with the objective of being able to implement strategies to minimize risk.
- Working knowledge of statistical process control to utilize in trending and tracking of processes.
- Recognize, support and commit to the Food Safety promise and facility Mission statement.
- Comfortable assuming the responsibly of the Quality Assurance Manager and FSQA Supervisor in the event of an absence (vacation coverage, illness, etc.) which would include;
- Ensure the facility is in compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements (CFIA, Health Canada, USDA, FDA, etc.)
- Support and lead internal and external audits (BRC, audits requested by customers, CFIA, etc.)
- Coordinate hold and release activities to support exports, pathogens test programs and non-conformance situations
- Ensure timely closure to necessary corrective action items associated with any 3rd party, internal or CFIA audits
- Administer and maintain Quality System compliance at the facility to meet all Customer and internal specifications
- Other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- A University degree in Microbiology or related college or University program/experience
- An understanding of laboratory methodology and food microbiology
- 3 to 6 years food related experience in a HACCP recognized plant.
- Experience with developing/maintaining HACCP or similar programs.
- Proven leadership with excellent listening and communication skills.
- Good facilitation skills.
- Detail and fine print conscious with exemplary organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills to download and process data.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Prepared to come in and audit and/or train on any shift as required to successfully implement and manage food safety initiatives.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.