Director, Corporate Engineering
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Director, Corporate Engineering is responsible for identifying and implementing engineering solutions to meet the financial and quality objectives of the Company including capital project management and process improvement initiatives. This role has direct oversight of capital activities at existing facilities across Canada. The position reports into the Vice President of Corporate Engineering.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide strategic leadership and manage major capital projects (>$30M) across the Canadian plant network,
- Oversee direct-report Project Engineers and contract engineering support to ensure that assigned capital projects ($3-$30M) are executed in accordance with project management best practices and Maple Leaf guidelines and governance.
- Collaborate with operations, ensure multi-year capital planning incorporates FSQA, environmental, profit-improvement, equipment and building maintenance requirements
- Review and approve all capital requests, plan and monitor work schedules and cash flows
- Align engineering activities and projects with company goals and objectives,
- Provide expert guidance and support, approving newly-developed policies from various departments
- Work with multiple and diverse teams, maintaining positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure equipment standards and technology improvements are maintained
- Ensure that best practices, equipment standards and technology are shared
- Vendor qualification, performance measures and ongoing relationship management
- Identification and validation of new technology & benchmarking
- Commissioning support for capital projects and “as needed” requirements
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Engineering degree, Professional Engineering designation (PMP designation an asset)
- 10+ years of capital project management experience in manufacturing environment
- Experience in Engineering Change Control Process, Design Reviews, and Commissioning Process
- Contract development and execution, overseeing consultants and contractors
- Understanding of food industry GMPs, food safety development and health & safety requirements
- Deep knowledge of performance metrics, and achieving results through KPI’s
- Ability to influence teams and stakeholders with strong interpersonal communications at all levels
- Demonstrated understanding of financial implications and impact of decisions on company
- Environment - Manufacturing plants & Corporate Offices
- Volume & Complexity of Work - High, requires development & implementation of systems/processes
- Travel Requirements - 40% Deployment and support of systems across Canada
- Physical Requirements- Hands on training & trouble shooting of process issues
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.