A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Production Manager – Saskatoon
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Plant Manager, you are responsible through plant operations for producing the highest quality products in the most effective and efficient manner, within the framework of Company policy and government regulations. You are responsible for efficiency, yield, safety, absenteeism, food safety and quality initiatives as reported from the plant operation. You lead by example and inspire your team to deliver top results. You are passionate about safety and promote a culture where safety comes first. You thrive in an environment that is fast paced and have a keen sense for continuous improvement. Your approach is collaborative and offer a forum where everyone feels comfortable to bring forward new ideas.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Provide leadership to production staff, including direct supervision of senior supervisors and several production supervisors.
- Foster and maintain a positive labour relations environment by ensuring that all employees are treated with respect, grievances are dealt with in a timely manner, and employees are communicated with in an open manner.
- Motivate employees to embrace the Leadership Edge Values.
- Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operations and cost improvements in their production area.
- Monitor production inputs and outputs to minimize product loss and working towards achieving an accident free facility.
- Communicate the implementation for new or changes to Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices and HACCP to ensure consistent product quality and progressive food safety program.
- Champion continuous improvement for the manufacturing processes in supporting Six Sigma methodologies, leading meetings and specific projects (manufacturing excellence, etc.) to optimize production operations.
- Interact regularly with various managers and other team members, including Quality Assurance, Health and Safety, Maintenance, finance, Six Sigma, R&D, Distribution, and Human Resources utilizing daily manufacturing reports that capture manufacturing performance.
- Control departmental operating costs ensuring all product orders are produced on time with no shortfall in quality or quantity.
- Assist the Plant Manager with developing a cohesive, competent management team and planning for capable management succession by effectively acquiring, developing, and motivation manufacturing personnel.
- Participate in the review and recommendation for capital improvements for equipment and plant facilities.
- Prepare yearly operating budgets, standard cost of goods for raw materials, direct labour and plant overheads.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Ideal candidate will have relevant post-secondary education (preferred University degree in Engineering, Food Science or Business)
- 7+ years of management experience in a unionized, manufacturing environment.
- Must demonstrate ability to schedule employees and production shifts within a fast-paced multi-shift environment.
- Should have strong financial analytical skills and be computer literate, including Microsoft Office software.
- Results oriented with ability to multi-task in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment.
- Well-developed written and communication skills, and ability to exercise timely and good judgment in day-to-day business decisions.
- Must be prepared to substitute for Production Supervisors’ absences as needed.
- Comfortable and effective in dealing with all levels of the diverse workforce as well as Government Regulators.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.